Appetite Ruining Kebab

Pauline Westervelt's PK Appeal.

Hey, your boy Kebab. My character died tonight, and I'm here to make an appeal. I'll start off with a summary, then bring up points in favor of the un-PK.

Summary:

Onto the events. We're playing on gm_desertdriving, and I'm leading the Blue squad. I'm asked by the drop leader to take one of our tanks to a ravine on our SW to sweep and destroy holes. All good from here. That is until, atleast 2 of my squad members drop out, possibly 3. In a squad of 6 people, suddenly having 20-25% less manpower makes a big difference, especially against arachnids where anyone can contribute to their slaughtering no matter how inept they are at everything combat related. The odds become stacked against us as a result. We're making real slow headway, and I already die and have to be TPed back several times after dying. On one of such occasions, Xal catches me, and has me /roll to an arachnid death. I roll 4, which translates to a PK.

Before I go on, I want to say that I really liked the way the PK itself was done. The tiger slash, the stargazing, the solemn death stare. It felt exactly like the way she would go, and in a more fitting place and time, I'd accept it as a good conclusion to their story.

The appeal itself:

To put it simply, I don't check out for most of the requirements behind an enforced CK. I'll elaborate on this one-by-one.

"They were knowingly performing an act of heroism or stupidity outside the duties of a normal Mobile Infantry. Most frequently this is fulfilled by an act of heroism or similar. This isn't to say heroism is banned; only that with heroic action comes risk commensurate with the likely reward you will receive if you succeed." - This character died while following orders given by the drop lead. No heroism was involved.

"They weren't simply following the orders of a superior officer."  - See above.

"Except in the most heinously of circumstances, they were given fair warning that their actions could lead to death." - While I've seen the below-5-PK rule in action before, I was either not told explicitly that it would be in effect in that particular event, or missed a public warning. Once again, I had died and had been TPed back several times before Xal caught up to me, with no repercussions until that point.

The risk of PK is commensurate with your experience on SSTRP. Typically this means the higher your rank the more likely you are to be targeted - but it also means if you are a 5 year player and you fuck about on a Private you are just as fair game. - This checks out. I've been here for quite some time. The only case I can make against it is that Westervelt is 2 and a half months old, much less time than I had spent with Josephine.

I will end it here. Thanks for reading my appeal.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Appetite Ruining Kebab said:

Hey, your boy Kebab. My character died tonight, and I'm here to make an appeal. I'll start off with a summary, then bring up points in favor of the un-PK.

Summary:

Onto the events. We're playing on gm_desertdriving, and I'm leading the Blue squad. I'm asked by the drop leader to take one of our tanks to a ravine on our SW to sweep and destroy holes. All good from here. That is until, atleast 2 of my squad members drop out, possibly 3. In a squad of 6 people, suddenly having 20-25% less manpower makes a big difference, especially against arachnids where anyone can contribute to their slaughtering no matter how inept they are at everything combat related. The odds become stacked against us as a result. We're making real slow headway, and I already die and have to be TPed back several times after dying. On one of such occasions, Xal catches me, and has me /roll to an arachnid death. I roll 4, which translates to a PK.

Before I go on, I want to say that I really liked the way the PK itself was done. The tiger slash, the stargazing, the solemn death stare. It felt exactly like the way she would go, and in a more fitting place and time, I'd accept it as a good conclusion to their story.

The appeal itself:

To put it simply, I don't check out for most of the requirements behind an enforced CK. I'll elaborate on this one-by-one.

"They were knowingly performing an act of heroism or stupidity outside the duties of a normal Mobile Infantry. Most frequently this is fulfilled by an act of heroism or similar. This isn't to say heroism is banned; only that with heroic action comes risk commensurate with the likely reward you will receive if you succeed." - This character died while following orders given by the drop lead. No heroism was involved.

"They weren't simply following the orders of a superior officer."  - See above.

"Except in the most heinously of circumstances, they were given fair warning that their actions could lead to death." - While I've seen the below-5-PK rule in action before, I was either not told explicitly that it would be in effect in that particular event, or missed a public warning. Once again, I had died and had been TPed back several times before Xal caught up to me, with no repercussions until that point.

The risk of PK is commensurate with your experience on SSTRP. Typically this means the higher your rank the more likely you are to be targeted - but it also means if you are a 5 year player and you fuck about on a Private you are just as fair game. - This checks out. I've been here for quite some time. The only case I can make against it is that Westervelt is 2 and a half months old, much less time than I had spent with Josephine.

I will end it here. Thanks for reading my appeal.

I'll leave this in the capable hands of @Durango.

My two cents:

• The above guidelines whilst relevant to certain types of PK are only guidelines - guidelines we relaxed a few months ago after feedback from the admin team and the community was that they wanted to see more PKs and more of the grisliness of war.
  • The point of the roll-based system for PKs is that it takes away the decision from admins and therefore eliminates any perceived or real threat of bias or targeting - this is helpful because it makes PKs much less adversarial (admin vs player). 
  • I would also argue that given this system requires you to physically die - it means you either have to be reckless (and therefore have brought death upon yourself) or plain unlucky. And if you are unlucky enough to both be physically killed and to roll low enough to be PKed (a 1/20 chance) you'd have to be stupendously unlucky. I think on this occasion perhaps unfortunate as it may be luck has abandoned you.
  • The fact that you died and were TPed back several times - presumably you were teleported by someone else, in which case I would see it as getting lucky rather than getting unlucky when I teleported you. As a rule, I make everyone I see who dies roll - sometimes it means that a whole squad ends up critically injured, but then that puts the onus on the drop lead to react appropriately. I would (respectfully) argue that if you died several times, that suggests you were quite reckless.

I understand that I can't change the rules, but I think it would still do me good to offer my own opinion.

The above guidelines whilst relevant to certain types of PK are only guidelines - guidelines we relaxed a few months ago after feedback from the admin team and the community was that they wanted to see more PKs and more of the grisliness of war. - It's true, this is war. Shit happens. But this is also an RP server - it's just as much about the interactions that take place between characters if not moreso, than actually emulating war, which you can't do on a 10+ year old computer game anyways. Forcing a player to 1) Come up with a new character and 2) Play them with the same quality as their previous one and most importantly, 3) Enjoy that character, is a process that takes a lot of energy from them. As for the argument of, "But it could be interesting. Embrace the opportunity." or "Deal with it." - I'm personally against both of these. I don't think it's right for an admin to make that decision for the player. The players are perfectly capable of moving out of their comfort zone whenever they so wish. On drops, I like being punished for bad calls. I like being punished for stupidity. And I certainly can't disagree with PK as a punishment to excess stupidity. But I don't think that's what happened here, and I will elaborate on that further down the post.

The point of the roll-based system for PKs is that it takes away the decision from admins and therefore eliminates any perceived or real threat of bias or targeting - this is helpful because it makes PKs much less adversarial (admin vs player). - This might not be so good. When you take away the human element from PKs, you don't just remove adversarial issues. You also remove empathy. The admin who's doing the PK should do so with the understanding that this player is gonna struggle for a while, and may even leave the server if they experience a writer's block. This makes the admin more careful in setting up circumstances leading to the PK so that it can later be justified. It seemed like what I had on my hands was: Die, respawn. Roll 4. Tough shit. Goodbye. No prior wounds. No explicit indication of the possibility of death. War may be stupid, but RP doesn't have to be.

I already adressed the third point indirectly a couple of times, so I will go straight to the last one.

The fact that you died and were TPed back several times - presumably you were teleported by someone else, in which case I would see it as getting lucky rather than getting unlucky when I teleported you. As a rule, I make everyone I see who dies roll - sometimes it means that a whole squad ends up critically injured, but then that puts the onus on the drop lead to react appropriately. I would (respectfully) argue that if you died several times, that suggests you were quite reckless. - This is a good point, Xal. I said this to bring further attention to the fact that the /roll PK wasn't, and most likely couldn't be enforced normally on me at the time, further clouding my perception of whether they were active.  However, I will argue that it wouldn't have made a difference to this PK - whether I died once, or 100 times, I only had to /roll to Xalphox once. You yourself were not aware of previous deaths. For all intents and purposes, they're basically null/void. This PK is not about the several, inconsequential OOC deaths of Westervelt that weren't acted on. This PK is about the one time it was acted on, and the unreasonable way in which it transitioned into a PK, with the past having no bearing on the decision made. And finally, I will say that the deaths themselves were not from Westervelt wandering off of her squad, or going too far ahead. Most of the time, it was because of overwhelming Arachnid numbers that we couldnt deal with, atleast not without the 30% of my squad that disconnected mid-event.

But if those several, inconsequential OOC deaths of Westervelt really must come into play, I would happily take a temporary CK with reasonable length for the character's IC treatment.

The way I see it; this boils down to two major variables 

1) Physically dying. This is something that has always been a go-to for injuries and PKs. If you die a ton, at least on my missions, you can expect to be injured despite who your character is. It'd honestly break immersion if we didn't, because how many times do you need to see your buddy bug raped and resurrected before you realize "o yea this is gmod". 

2) Your rank. Because of it, yourself dying is very noticeable to the rest of the players. You are a character of some importance. Thus, the thing about breaking immersion above is multiplied by 10. In olden days, we actually only gave Sergeants one life (talk about hard mode) because of this.

Finally, while I do share and understand the pain in losing a beloved character, I don't believe the situation would be any different if you copy-pasted any other name in place of your own, your character wasn't specifically targeted, just pulled the short straw, as anyone could've.  

So with a heavy heart, the PK stands. 

Rest in Spaghetti 

never forgetti 

• Like 2