Jump to content
Noviix

/me would, the great debate

Recommended Posts

/me would crack an egg on a hoe Versus /me cracks an egg on the hoe

 

You see, by my calculations, there is one more word in the first portion compared to the second. Therefore, the first portion's method is superior, and I would indeed have cracked an egg on a hoe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've changed my opinion here, I hate the fact that I do it and I find it really annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Fitz said:

I've changed my opinion here, I hate the fact that I do it and I find it really annoying.

glad to see the conversion

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Pilotfish said:

if you use would know that me and the elite roleplayers are looking down on you every time to make words

:(

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Pilotfish said:

if you use would know that me and the elite roleplayers are looking down on you every time to make words

radical roach would not notice the elite roleplayers looking down on them because they would not care

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, radical roach said:

radical roach would not notice the elite roleplayers looking down on them because they would not care

/

 

20171120225555_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

me

small town. no jobs. i wanted to matter. i believed what they told me. what did I know back then?

what do you know now?

joined the 105th. saw things.

did things.

came back. joined the police. hunted people like you.

Them

the parepin makes us compliant, but kills agg
regulars get little blue ones–we call them “die-agra.” blue pills keep you frosty and get your soldier on.
blue pills are fun.
sometimes, if you are ver
“bloody mary” or “jerk”
red pills erase the line between killing and fucking. some of the damage is perm
can’t go back once you’ve taken the red pills. they told us that part afterwards.

Them

the parepin makes us compliant, but kills aggression. different soldiers get different pills to put it back.
regulars get little blue ones–we call them “die-agra.” blue pills keep you frosty and get your soldier on.
blue pills are fun.
sometimes, if you are very good at your job, they give you red pills. the red ones are called “blisters” or
“bloody mary” or “jerk”
red pills erase the line between killing and fucking. some of the damage is permanent. your family, you
can’t go back once you’ve taken the red pills. they told us that part afterwards.

listen to

some of the things i remember didn’t happen but i thi

aurora, illinois. night. 5 of us. cell of unregistered muslims with the NVGs so we stayed out of the air,
walked it in sas style. 47 houses on the list. inside the fir
part very intimate, sudden and slippery. little gasps and sighs. towelling off and then the next house,
the next, the next, and we don’t stop, never stop until the last house is done, the sun co
our hands are

*

when your door breaks open in t

listen to me

some of the things i remember didn’t happen but i think this one did.

aurora, illinois. night. 5 of us. cell of unregistered muslims with the NVGs so we stayed out of the air,
walked it in sas style. 47 houses on the list. inside the first one–quiet, quiet, like santa claus. the next
part very intimate, sudden and slippery. little gasps and sighs. towelling off and then the next house,
the next, the next, and we don’t stop, never stop until the last house is done, the sun comes up and
our hands are slick, we’re sweating. i came four times

*

when your door breaks open in the middle of the night, you need to know who is coming through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, radical roach said:

me

small town. no jobs. i wanted to matter. i believed what they told me. what did I know back then?

what do you know now?

joined the 105th. saw things.

 did things.

came back. joined the police. hunted people like you.

Them

the parepin makes us compliant, but kills agg
regulars get little blue ones–we call them “die-agra.” blue pills keep you frosty and get your soldier on.
blue pills are fun.
sometimes, if you are ver
“bloody mary” or “jerk”
red pills erase the line between killing and fucking. some of the damage is perm
can’t go back once you’ve taken the red pills. they told us that part afterwards.

Them

the parepin makes us compliant, but kills aggression. different soldiers get different pills to put it back.
regulars get little blue ones–we call them “die-agra.” blue pills keep you frosty and get your soldier on.
blue pills are fun.
sometimes, if you are very good at your job, they give you red pills. the red ones are called “blisters” or
“bloody mary” or “jerk”
red pills erase the line between killing and fucking. some of the damage is permanent. your family, you
can’t go back once you’ve taken the red pills. they told us that part afterwards.

listen to

some of the things i remember didn’t happen but i thi

aurora, illinois. night. 5 of us. cell of unregistered muslims with the NVGs so we stayed out of the air,
walked it in sas style. 47 houses on the list. inside the fir
part very intimate, sudden and slippery. little gasps and sighs. towelling off and then the next house,
the next, the next, and we don’t stop, never stop until the last house is done, the sun co
our hands are

*

when your door breaks open in t

listen to me

some of the things i remember didn’t happen but i think this one did.

aurora, illinois. night. 5 of us. cell of unregistered muslims with the NVGs so we stayed out of the air,
walked it in sas style. 47 houses on the list. inside the first one–quiet, quiet, like santa claus. the next
part very intimate, sudden and slippery. little gasps and sighs. towelling off and then the next house,
the next, the next, and we don’t stop, never stop until the last house is done, the sun comes up and
our hands are slick, we’re sweating. i came four times

*

when your door breaks open in the middle of the night, you need to know who is coming through it.

What does this say I didn't read it.

Share this post


Link to post

 

listen to me. listen to me. i’m sitting on a metal folding chair in a catholic church basement. there’s a
liberatadora tied into another one of those cheap chairs, she’s nineteen and righteous and spitting
mad. she’s got a cross hanging on a chain between her tits her name is mallory and she organized a
dance series for young people where certain kinds of politics were a kind of foreplay between the beer
first and the fucking afterwards.

i pull the uniforms out of the room and i get her a paper cup full of non-alcoholic punch. she’s so scared
she can’t stop talking. at first it’s mostly swearing at me. ugly words come out of her pretty mouth like
shit from a flower. i like her but i also think about doing things to her. i don’t talk much because people
will give themselves to you if you wait long enough.

she’s talking about the why now, what she was hoping for. she’s talking about social justice and
equality, she’s talking about things she saw on a mission trip to south america, she’s trying to make me
understand and the thing is i *do* understand. her friends who never left home are too narcotized on
parepin to care but six months away from the water supply has woken her up. she is trying to convince
me, now, the innocence of it is staggering and i want to say They are going to kill you, mallory, if you
don’t shut up, but she can’t stop talking she’s passionate that way.

only time it ever got to me.

finally i told her to shut up that she was dead already that she was going to be stoned that they were
going to pulp her young body with rocks what a waste.

still tied to that chair.

here’s the funny part she made me cut off a lock of her hair I didn’t want to i didn’t want to take out my
knife but tied in that chair she made me do it. and my hand shook. made me swear that i would keep it
always and i did sometimes i stop to touch it while i’m writing this for you the only reason i am telling
you this story is so you understand it’s all a lie i don’t give a damn about you i’m only pretending to care
but you’re dead and i’m going to hell and we will never see each other again.




fuck i don’t know why i bother

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, radical roach said:

 

listen to me. listen to me. i’m sitting on a metal folding chair in a catholic church basement. there’s a
liberatadora tied into another one of those cheap chairs, she’s nineteen and righteous and spitting
mad. she’s got a cross hanging on a chain between her tits her name is mallory and she organized a
dance series for young people where certain kinds of politics were a kind of foreplay between the beer
first and the fucking afterwards.

i pull the uniforms out of the room and i get her a paper cup full of non-alcoholic punch. she’s so scared
she can’t stop talking. at first it’s mostly swearing at me. ugly words come out of her pretty mouth like
shit from a flower. i like her but i also think about doing things to her. i don’t talk much because people
will give themselves to you if you wait long enough.

she’s talking about the why now, what she was hoping for. she’s talking about social justice and
equality, she’s talking about things she saw on a mission trip to south america, she’s trying to make me
understand and the thing is i *do* understand. her friends who never left home are too narcotized on
parepin to care but six months away from the water supply has woken her up. she is trying to convince
me, now, the innocence of it is staggering and i want to say They are going to kill you, mallory, if you
don’t shut up, but she can’t stop talking she’s passionate that way.

only time it ever got to me.

finally i told her to shut up that she was dead already that she was going to be stoned that they were
going to pulp her young body with rocks what a waste.

still tied to that chair.

here’s the funny part she made me cut off a lock of her hair I didn’t want to i didn’t want to take out my
knife but tied in that chair she made me do it. and my hand shook. made me swear that i would keep it
always and i did sometimes i stop to touch it while i’m writing this for you the only reason i am telling
you this story is so you understand it’s all a lie i don’t give a damn about you i’m only pretending to care
but you’re dead and i’m going to hell and we will never see each other again.




fuck i don’t know why i bother

 

Some of the comments are certainly true. There is valid criticism. While some other comments are a bit harse but I can understand the frustration why people wrote those.

First of all Quora is the only social networking sites in my knowledge which is not a waste of time. I am a silent reader here. Since I am not good at writing, I rarely write answers. I come here every day to gain some knowledge; not to read some story about how a IITian faced some problem at certain point of his life and how he was able to overcome it. In last couple of months this has become a problem. I am seriously considering unfollowing the topic India. When I joined Quora two years ago it had good questions and insightful answers. I got to know many things about Indo-pak wars, India's geography, foreign relations and also something about cultures and movies. But for last couple of months my thread is full with cricket, Bollywood, and emotional stuff.

These are I get in my thread now-a-days

  • Random movie facts. If I want to what happened in X movie and Y TV series I will simply Google it. These are meant for amusements. While those are good on Facebook not here on Quora.
  • Cricket. I understand it's fan following. I like cricket. But I don't come here to read about what happened in which match or to read a comparison between Sachin and David. While occasionally reading about cricket is not bad but I don't want to read about it every time I open Quora.
  • Some random IITian describing his life( or simply showing up). While a few are good to read many of them are annoying. Like someone mentioned in that Reddit thread even if the question is “ Why sky is blue?” , they will begin the answer with “let me tell you a story when I was in IIT.”
  • People abusing each other. I got addicted to Quora because I thought it is the only place in Internet people take criticism constructively. I have seen Indians and Pakistanis having proper arguments about border issue here. However it looks like things have changed. People and especially Indians aren't accepting criticism any more. Instead of counter argument they start abusing the person. This is the problem I refrain myself from writing a comment in Facebook posts because most Indians simply aren't programed to listen to someone with contradictory view. This trend has started on Quora too. They even don't agree to disagree. They won't leave you alone till you give in.
  • People writing random crap about ancient India and mythology with no valid source.
  • Many start their answer with random images even if that is not relevant to question.
  • At last the most annoying ones who write cooked up emotional stuff.

I have now started to aggressively downvote all such questions and answers that I come across in my thread. I have also blocked some writers including some of the top writers. I can see some improvements now. If things doesn't change I will unfollow the topic “India”.

I suggest you to do the same. Down vote all the questions and answers which you think are not good even if they have thousands of upvotes. Unfollow the persons and even block them if necessary. I hope things will change.

Things we Indians need to learn from this reddit thread is Quora is not Facebook. This is precisely why it is interesting. Don't ruin it.

If you just want fame or upvotes write your own blog or post on Facebook.

Accept the reality. Go though the sources the author has provided. Read and analyse those and then judge. Don't just jump to conclusions.

Keep in mind that our country is not perfect. In fact, we have a lot more problems than most countries. If someone says something bad about India instead of getting angry instantly, try to think if the author's claim is valid.

Learn to have a constructive argument with someone who disagrees with you. Put yourself in his/ her situation and try to understand why he/she thinks the way he/she thinks. In short try to understand and respect other's point of view.

Don't write cooked up stories here. And if you do, don't forget to mention that the story is frictional.

If you claim something try to provide your sources.

Last but not the least agree to disagree. This is the single most important thing in a debate.

I hope Indians in Quora understand the value of Quora and keep themselves away from shitty questions and crappy answers.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Fitz said:

 

Some of the comments are certainly true. There is valid criticism. While some other comments are a bit harse but I can understand the frustration why people wrote those.

First of all Quora is the only social networking sites in my knowledge which is not a waste of time. I am a silent reader here. Since I am not good at writing, I rarely write answers. I come here every day to gain some knowledge; not to read some story about how a IITian faced some problem at certain point of his life and how he was able to overcome it. In last couple of months this has become a problem. I am seriously considering unfollowing the topic India. When I joined Quora two years ago it had good questions and insightful answers. I got to know many things about Indo-pak wars, India's geography, foreign relations and also something about cultures and movies. But for last couple of months my thread is full with cricket, Bollywood, and emotional stuff.

These are I get in my thread now-a-days

  • Random movie facts. If I want to what happened in X movie and Y TV series I will simply Google it. These are meant for amusements. While those are good on Facebook not here on Quora.
  • Cricket. I understand it's fan following. I like cricket. But I don't come here to read about what happened in which match or to read a comparison between Sachin and David. While occasionally reading about cricket is not bad but I don't want to read about it every time I open Quora.
  • Some random IITian describing his life( or simply showing up). While a few are good to read many of them are annoying. Like someone mentioned in that Reddit thread even if the question is “ Why sky is blue?” , they will begin the answer with “let me tell you a story when I was in IIT.”
  • People abusing each other. I got addicted to Quora because I thought it is the only place in Internet people take criticism constructively. I have seen Indians and Pakistanis having proper arguments about border issue here. However it looks like things have changed. People and especially Indians aren't accepting criticism any more. Instead of counter argument they start abusing the person. This is the problem I refrain myself from writing a comment in Facebook posts because most Indians simply aren't programed to listen to someone with contradictory view. This trend has started on Quora too. They even don't agree to disagree. They won't leave you alone till you give in.
  • People writing random crap about ancient India and mythology with no valid source.
  • Many start their answer with random images even if that is not relevant to question.
  • At last the most annoying ones who write cooked up emotional stuff.

I have now started to aggressively downvote all such questions and answers that I come across in my thread. I have also blocked some writers including some of the top writers. I can see some improvements now. If things doesn't change I will unfollow the topic “India”.

I suggest you to do the same. Down vote all the questions and answers which you think are not good even if they have thousands of upvotes. Unfollow the persons and even block them if necessary. I hope things will change.

Things we Indians need to learn from this reddit thread is Quora is not Facebook. This is precisely why it is interesting. Don't ruin it.

If you just want fame or upvotes write your own blog or post on Facebook.

Accept the reality. Go though the sources the author has provided. Read and analyse those and then judge. Don't just jump to conclusions.

Keep in mind that our country is not perfect. In fact, we have a lot more problems than most countries. If someone says something bad about India instead of getting angry instantly, try to think if the author's claim is valid.

Learn to have a constructive argument with someone who disagrees with you. Put yourself in his/ her situation and try to understand why he/she thinks the way he/she thinks. In short try to understand and respect other's point of view.

Don't write cooked up stories here. And if you do, don't forget to mention that the story is frictional.

If you claim something try to provide your sources.

Last but not the least agree to disagree. This is the single most important thing in a debate.

I hope Indians in Quora understand the value of Quora and keep themselves away from shitty questions and crappy answers.

  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
“All Stations, this is Kodiak Actual...”
Thoughts on Verbal Orders in the Infantry Battalion
by
Major Brendan B. McBreen
 
 “Engineers attach to Echo, machineguns DS to Echo, as of eleven-fifty. I think the enemy has
withdrawn - the vehicles at the stadium are abandoned and the snipers to the south are just a
delay. Our forces to the north can’t be relieved until we’ve secured the main road. Mission: At
thirteen hundred, we attack east and seize the railroad bridge in order to prevent enemy
interference with the MSR. One company attacks north of the boulevard inclusive, one south.
Echo, main effort. Seize the railroad bridge in order isolate the town from enemy east of the
river. Golf. Clear the south sector of town in order to prevent enemy interference with the main
effort. Fox, reserve. Co-locate with mortars at checkpoint romeo-three-one. Confirm, over.”
 
 The Marine Corps preoccupation with the planning process and written orders serves
to decrease our ability to issue effective verbal orders.
 Think of your own experiences with verbal orders. At a wargame at Quantico, “We couldn’t
really do an order in only an hour, so these bullets represent some of our thoughts.”  At a
warplan simulation at Camp Pendleton, “If this were real, we’d have the imagery to permit us to
make our plans.” On a TDG at a battalion PME session, “We’ve outlined two options to think
about.” During an exercise, a voice crackles over the radio, “Move to phase line gold and stand
by for further orders.” Thoughts? Plans? Options? Stand By? Gentlemen, we need a clear order
implementing your decision now! The above examples represent three negative trends you may
 1
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
have observed (1) an expectation of more time, (2) an expectation of more information, and (3) a
lack of decisiveness and sense of urgency. Given ample time, each of the officers involved could
have developed his thoughts into a coherent order in the recommended fashion. Without practice
at rapidly producing succinct verbal orders, however, he is adrift.
 Why are we not as good at verbal orders as we should be? The first reason our verbal orders
technique suffers is because in school and in the fleet, “the orders process” is synonymous with
“the planning process” which concludes with lengthy written orders development. The training
rationale is that this develops an understanding of the components of an order. Once the concept
is understood, unit SOPs can reduce the details of the order. The reality, of course, is that most
well-trained leaders mimic exactly what they are taught in school, generating six-page orders to
direct a two-hour attack. Even squad leaders are taught to write pages of orders. This has planted
unrealistic expectations of  “adequate planning time” and “proper orders format” in the heads of
both leaders and Marines. When you are not granted adequate time in combat, is your order
sufficient? Do you or your people now have doubts? A common opinion is that you cannot do a
‘proper’ or ‘real’ order unless you have a few hours available. Even the term ‘frag order,’
mistakenly applied to any verbal order, implies your directive is not a real order, but a fragment
or offshoot of a properly written plan. A side effect of this model is that the comfort level we
have discussing courses of action delays decisiveness and generates uneasiness with rapid
decisions that have not been widely discussed or examined.
 The second reason our verbal orders technique suffers rests on our inability to stabilize units,
stabilize commanders, and train progressively. Cohesive and well-trained units can operate on
concise verbal orders because they have shared experiences and expectations, they know each
other’s capabilities, and can operate well on minimum guidance. Excessively detailed orders are
 2
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
required when a commander lacks familiarity with his unit’s background, leadership and
capabilities.
 The third and most compelling reason we are poor at verbal orders is that most of our
exercises and training events lack a capable, thinking opponent. We are not teaching our leaders
that combat is a dynamic clash of wills. When our training ‘enemy’ does not react or willfully
attempt to counter our efforts, we learn the dangerous tendency to precisely script our every
move. Evidence of this trend can easily be found in orders that include seven or eight sequential
tasks for each subordinate, and in matrices that precisely envision six phases for an attack. In the
dynamic chaos of actual combat, we will never be able to predict the sequence or the results on
the battlefield with such accuracy.
 The Marine Corps publishes almost no guidance on verbal orders. We teach few good
techniques, we do not demand competence, and we rarely practice. Most of us do not do well
when verbal orders are required. On exercises, particularly over the radio, we issue haphazard
verbal orders off the top of our heads.
 Combat narratives, from World War II through Vietnam, show that the Marine Corps has
historically operated well on verbal orders. According to MajGen O.K. Steele, the battle for Hue
City was fought exclusively on verbal orders. Many biographies of wartime leaders, including
Patton, Montgomery, Slim, Rommel, and von Mellenthin, show that these men were adamant in
their insistence on verbal orders. These leaders knew combat as a rapidly changing competitive
environment where decentralization and small unit initiative were energized by concise verbal
orders.  
 The details of war plans, amphibious landings, movement plans, and large deliberate
operations cannot be communicated by verbal orders. For the rapidly changing environment of
 3
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
combat, however, the Marine Corps needs to be good at verbal orders. This key skill accelerates
our tempo and maintains our momentum. A tactical decision is meaningless without the ability to
communicate it clearly and rapidly. Your ability to issue a brief, clear, unambiguous order is a
difficult but essential combat skill. This requires guidance, training, and practice.
 
Recommended Verbal Order Technique
 The standard for verbal orders should be: Five sentences, in fifty seconds, while under fire.
 Task Organization. Organize your force before issuing the order. State the time of any
attachments.
 Orientation. One sentence on orientation, if needed, should precede the order to identify any
new control measures or reference points.  
 Situation. Give a one-sentence assessment of what you think the enemy is trying to do. Start
with “I think...”: “I think those vehicles are the couterattack!” Your orders make sense if your
Marines know what you are thinking. Do not restate the obvious: “We’re under fire!” Do not
restate facts, interpret them. What does it mean? Draw conclusions! Then put your analysis in
context. How do these enemy actions affect your higher headquarter’s intent?
 Mission. State the single collective unit mission before assigning any tasks. Start with
“We...” Use the in-order-to (IOT) format to link mission and intent: “At 1215, we will seize the
pass IOT prevent enemy retreat.” This is the single most important sentence of your order.
Choose each word carefully.
 Execution. A concept of operations lets everyone know the context of your plan and any
support planned. If you jump straight to tasks, “You buy meat! You buy cheese! You buy
vegetables!”, your people may not know if they are building a salad, a pizza, or a sandwich.
 4
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
 Tasks. Phrase each task exactly like a mission statement. Use the IOT format to link mission
and intent. Always designate one unit as the main effort. The main effort task needs to parrallel
the unit mission. Always designate, and avoid tasking, a reserve. A single “Be Prepared To”
statement for the reserve can guide that unit commander in his preparations.
 Coordinating Instructions. The final sentence ties up the order with any instructions for all
hands, usually timing, signals, or locations such as the casualty collection point. Most Admin &
Logisitics and Command & Signal information should be SOP, and rarely needed in a verbal
order.
 The notes for a verbal order, if made at all, should fit on an index card:
 
T/O: E + CEB + MG(DS), F, G, 81s, COC O:
 
S: EN withdrawn, snipers are delay. HHQ needs MSR. M: 1300 ATK E seize RR bridge IOT prev EN interference with MSR E: SoM: Echo N of boulevard incl, Golf on S.  Fires: • Echo. ME. Seize RR bridge IOT isolate town. • Golf. Clear southern sector IOT protect ME. • Fox. RES @ CP R31 with 81s. Coord:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Good Orders
The above technique meets all the requirements of a good order. A good order includes:
• An analysis of the situation
• A tie to the higher intent
• A unit mission and intent
• A series of tasks with intents
 5
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
• A designated main effort • A designated reserve
Conversely, a good order avoids:
• Excessive “On Order” or “If Then.” Too many conditional statements indicate a fragile
plan, dependent on many linkages and good communications. In combat, these are the
last things you’ll have. Do not reserve all decisions to yourself.
• T/O Confusion. Too many independent units also indicates a fragile plan. Complex
organizations require detailed orders and good communications to coordinate multiple
moving parts. Generally, one organization should be responsible for each separate part of
your plan. Be very clear on command relationships.  
• Micromanagement (MM)
• More-of-the-obvious (MOTO)
In any order there are three types of sentences. (1) Mission Specific: “H-Hour is 0900,”
(2) MM: “Have your third squad carry extra batteries for your beacons,” and (3)
MOTO: “Use all means to minimize casualties.” MM statements might be good training
advice, but they do NOT belong in your order. Do not step on the command prerogatives
of your subordinates. MOTO phrases are self-evident statements that offend your
subordinates’ sense of competence. Do not restate SOPs. Every sentence in your order
should be mission specific.
 
Verbal Order Philosophies
Less is more. Be painstakingly brief and clear. Construct an unambiguous order with the
fewest number of carefully chosen words. Kill all adjectives and adverbs. Avoid excessive “Be
Prepared To” sentences for future potentialities. Strive to meet the current situation. When
 6
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
another task needs to be accomplished later, issue another order. Avoid “phases” for the same
reason. In the disorder of combat, simplicity is strength.
Cohesion and Training are the Pre-requisites. Cohesive and well-trained units have
practiced battle drills and standing operating procedures that speed communications and are well
understood. The leaders of cohesive units understand the tactical thoughts and expectations of
their commander, they know and trust each other’s judgement, and they have confidence in the
capabilities of their Marines and their small unit leaders who make the crucial decisions on the
battlefield. Train your unit and your leaders with these goals in mind.
Trust your people. Know your leaders and assume competence. The level of detail in an
order depends on the proficiency of your subordinates. When you rely on you subordinate’s self
reliance and judgement on the spot, you create enthusiasm for the task which increases the
likelihood of success and the conditions for exploitation of opportunity. An order should contain
everything a subordinate must know to carry out the order, and only that. Use the briefback
technique to avoid surprises.
Missions and Tasks. Assign a single mission to your unit. Assign a single task to each
subordinate. Select only the essential tasks and focus on those. A mission which includes several
parts diverts attention from the primary goal.
Intent. Intent equals purpose. The IOT format is the most concise technique to link the
mission and the intent. The commander’s intent paragraph has no place in a verbal order. Avoid
splitting your unit’s focus with two intents: “Seize Hill 160 IOT control the riverline AND
permit our unhindered resupply.” The best intent focuses on the enemy, not friendly forces or
terrain. Intent is not a tactical task, “Attack IOT destroy.” The intent is far larger than the tactical
task. A good intent will always provide your subordinate with multiple options. Your
 7
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
subordinates then have leeway to take action when the situation changes. Meaningful intent gives
your order durability and longevity.
Nesting Intents. The intent of each task must be “nested.” Supporting efforts support the
main effort. The main effort supports the higher headquarters. From the highest headquarters to
the leading squad, the intents of all units should cascade so that the actions of each unit
contributes to the whole. This is the only way to make a large organization operate in a chaotic
environment. Disciplined initiative at each level will contribute to the greater good only if the
intent of each order supports the order above it.
Puppet orders. Avoid moving and placing your subordinate commanders: “Continue
moving north and then east to CP51.”  You are not moving puppets. You are tasking
commanders. Avoid using “orient.” The intent of your order should clarify why a certain position
or direction is important.
Schedules, target lists, manifests and other data sheets are the results of an order. They are
not the order. Issue a verbal order, then develop and submit any lists or manifests needed.
Language. Use inclusive language, “You are moving with me,” and avoid exclusive
language, “You are not staying here.” Avoid qualified statements, “Try to hold,” or “As far as
possible.” These lessen responsibility. Avoid conditional statements, “If you can get over the
bridge.” Know and use precise tactical terms, the language of your profession. Mission and task
statements, especially, need to be clear and correct. Tasks that focus on the enemy, fix, suppress,
tasks that focus on terrain, secure, occupy, and tasks that focus on friendly forces, overwatch,
have very precise meanings and need to be understood by your Marines. Likewise, when
organizing for combat, use the terms attach, direct support, and take command. Imprecise
statements, “The XO will supervise,” or “Machineguns move with 3rd Platoon Sergeant,” can
lead to dangerous confusion in combat.
 8
  Thoughts on Verbal Orders
 Command. As far as possible, move to your subordinates and issue verbal orders face to
face at a critical observation point on the battlefield. Beyond the words, a leader communicates
far more by looking into the eyes of his Marines. When issued over the radio, a verbal order is
far less likely to be misunderstood if it is well constructed, succinct and unambiguous.
Remember also that issuing the order is only ten percent of the commander’s responsibility.
Supervision, pushing the plan vigorously to success, is the true role of the commander.
 
Conclusion
Success on the battlefield goes to the leader who can quickly assess the situation, decide and
communicate his decision, and fight his unit effectively. How many verbal orders have you
issued in your career? How many have you received? Capture good techniques for verbal orders.
Train your leaders. Marine leaders at all levels need as much practice as possible in
communicating their decisions. During exercises, wargames, planning conferences, and tactical
decision games, critically discuss the order as well as the tactics. The essential skill of issuing
clear, concise, unambiguous orders is difficult. It is not a skill you are born with nor is it
acquired automatically with rank. Only those who practice in peacetime will be successful
leaders in the chaos of combat.
 
Major McBreen is the Operations Officer for the 5th Marine Regiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Lalatina said:

You don't need to make the text as big as your ego, Fitz. Tone it down.

That's Roach's post.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Fitz said:

 

Some of the comments are certainly true. There is valid criticism. While some other comments are a bit harse but I can understand the frustration why people wrote those.

First of all Quora is the only social networking sites in my knowledge which is not a waste of time. I am a silent reader here. Since I am not good at writing, I rarely write answers. I come here every day to gain some knowledge; not to read some story about how a IITian faced some problem at certain point of his life and how he was able to overcome it. In last couple of months this has become a problem. I am seriously considering unfollowing the topic India. When I joined Quora two years ago it had good questions and insightful answers. I got to know many things about Indo-pak wars, India's geography, foreign relations and also something about cultures and movies. But for last couple of months my thread is full with cricket, Bollywood, and emotional stuff.

These are I get in my thread now-a-days

  • Random movie facts. If I want to what happened in X movie and Y TV series I will simply Google it. These are meant for amusements. While those are good on Facebook not here on Quora.
  • Cricket. I understand it's fan following. I like cricket. But I don't come here to read about what happened in which match or to read a comparison between Sachin and David. While occasionally reading about cricket is not bad but I don't want to read about it every time I open Quora.
  • Some random IITian describing his life( or simply showing up). While a few are good to read many of them are annoying. Like someone mentioned in that Reddit thread even if the question is “ Why sky is blue?” , they will begin the answer with “let me tell you a story when I was in IIT.”
  • People abusing each other. I got addicted to Quora because I thought it is the only place in Internet people take criticism constructively. I have seen Indians and Pakistanis having proper arguments about border issue here. However it looks like things have changed. People and especially Indians aren't accepting criticism any more. Instead of counter argument they start abusing the person. This is the problem I refrain myself from writing a comment in Facebook posts because most Indians simply aren't programed to listen to someone with contradictory view. This trend has started on Quora too. They even don't agree to disagree. They won't leave you alone till you give in.
  • People writing random crap about ancient India and mythology with no valid source.
  • Many start their answer with random images even if that is not relevant to question.
  • At last the most annoying ones who write cooked up emotional stuff.

I have now started to aggressively downvote all such questions and answers that I come across in my thread. I have also blocked some writers including some of the top writers. I can see some improvements now. If things doesn't change I will unfollow the topic “India”.

I suggest you to do the same. Down vote all the questions and answers which you think are not good even if they have thousands of upvotes. Unfollow the persons and even block them if necessary. I hope things will change.

Things we Indians need to learn from this reddit thread is Quora is not Facebook. This is precisely why it is interesting. Don't ruin it.

If you just want fame or upvotes write your own blog or post on Facebook.

Accept the reality. Go though the sources the author has provided. Read and analyse those and then judge. Don't just jump to conclusions.

Keep in mind that our country is not perfect. In fact, we have a lot more problems than most countries. If someone says something bad about India instead of getting angry instantly, try to think if the author's claim is valid.

Learn to have a constructive argument with someone who disagrees with you. Put yourself in his/ her situation and try to understand why he/she thinks the way he/she thinks. In short try to understand and respect other's point of view.

Don't write cooked up stories here. And if you do, don't forget to mention that the story is frictional.

If you claim something try to provide your sources.

Last but not the least agree to disagree. This is the single most important thing in a debate.

I hope Indians in Quora understand the value of Quora and keep themselves away from shitty questions and crappy answers.

You don't need to make the post as big as ur ego, Fitz.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Lalatina said:

You don't need to make the post as big as ur ego, Fitz.

No need to edit your mistakes, bisexual.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×