StevieJr

Concern for loss of playerbase.

When I first started playing on this server, it was popular, often 20-30 people on during drops and such. It seems this server is losing a bunch of it's playerbase and it's good ole feel? I however am not getting tired, I still have plenty of fun times with the admins and do fun drops and such.

I'm just concerned for the activity of the server since I actually care and am getting interested in this community. I notice a drop in activity of the XA's and some other admins that used to get on often. I am not sure if this is just a temporary loss in playerbase because of the time of year(or IRL bullshit for some of the players like jobs and such), or it is a mass exodus.

Post your opinions if you wish, I want people's takes on this. As well as what you think about the loss of playerbase.

It seems we do not get too many NEW Players that often, but rather mainly old veterans seem to be active on the server, so if you lose 2 veterans and get 1 noob, doesn't seem like a fair trade.

PSA:

I notice some of the players leaving due to admins stealing RP or because of admin 'circle jerks' some say that the admins run things too often. Although if you ask me it seems the admins are the only active players on the server other than myself and a select other few non-admin players. However recently I noticed admins trying to take the intiative in making players do more like the recent NCO training regulations.

Well I'm kinda agreed on Admin stealing RP Et cetera but it seems to me that they setting an example of 'How To Do Things MI Ways'. New players get to decided the major plot of stories? I don't know sometimes it might fucked up but who knows. I don't have any complaints for the admins either they seems pretty good bunch of staff. For the playerbase? I dunno we just have to do something to get people back or maybe this is some sort of temporary break but I dunno. And from me myself live on the different side of the earth who always woke up at around 8 AM just to get on and play with you guys. Otherwise I would miss bunch of chance. I love this community and I have settled down and won't leave this place for a LOOONG time. Love y'all <3

Personally, I haven't been on for the past week+ because I've just entirely lost my spark for SSTRP right now, and I fear if I'd just fought through it I'd end up killing any embers and just leaving entirely.

Honestly I couldn't put my finger on any one thing that caused me to lose my spark, other than just feeling like I needed a break after a while. There were certainly a few frustrating things I can't/wont mention here for various reasons, but stuff like that happens anywhere anyway, and that doesn't usually kill it for me.

I'll probably be back before too long, and I'll get on if I'm needed (for DMR training and whatnot) but, I feel like SSTRP has been a rollercoaster, and that's good fun for a while but now I need some time off the coaster so I don't puke my guts out and ruin the experience for myself and others.

5 minutes ago, Jun Nagase said:

Personally, I haven't been on for the past week+ because I've just entirely lost my spark for SSTRP right now, and I fear if I'd just fought through it I'd end up killing any embers and just leaving entirely.

Honestly I couldn't put my finger on any one thing that caused me to lose my spark, other than just feeling like I needed a break after a while. There were certainly a few frustrating things I can't/wont mention here for various reasons, but stuff like that happens anywhere anyway, and that doesn't usually kill it for me.

I'll probably be back before too long, and I'll get on if I'm needed (for DMR training and whatnot) but, I feel like SSTRP has been a rollercoaster, and that's good fun for a while but now I need some time off the coaster so I don't puke my guts out and ruin the experience for myself and others.

Well said, and I can understand where you are coming from Jun :)

22 minutes ago, saiphun987 said:

Well I'm kinda agreed on Admin stealing RP Et cetera but it seems to me that they setting an example of 'How To Do Things MI Ways'. New players get to decided the major plot of stories? I don't know sometimes it might fucked up but who knows. I don't have any complaints for the admins either they seems pretty good bunch of staff. For the playerbase? I dunno we just have to do something to get people back or maybe this is some sort of temporary break but I dunno. And from me myself live on the different side of the earth who always woke up at around 8 AM just to get on and play with you guys. Otherwise I would miss bunch of chance. I love this community and I have settled down and won't leave this place for a LOOONG time. Love y'all ❤️

I believe they don't 'steal' it per say, but I don't see too many players taking the initiative, probably because they don't have a level of understanding of what's going on as admins do. Especially during drops.

2 minutes ago, StevieJr said:

I believe they don't 'steal' it per say, but I don't see too many players taking the initiative, probably because they don't have a level of understanding of what's going on as admins do. Especially during drops.

I do heard some people complaints about it but hey you learn from people doing it and setting an example and then let you do it that's how it worked.

2 hours ago, StevieJr said:

I notice a drop in activity of the XA's and some other admins that used to get on often.

@Durango is super busy IRL, getting on is a challenge for him but he does the best he can, as for @F r a n c o he's always available should an admin need to reach him as well a few admins being busy with IRL stuff which leads to the next point of why.

2 hours ago, StevieJr said:

I am not sure if this is just a temporary loss in playerbase because of the time of year

absolutely this issue. It's the end of the school year for a lot of people, exams and stuff are a bitch and drain people so some are just not available at all. 

55 minutes ago, saiphun987 said:

Well I'm kinda agreed on Admin stealing RP Et cetera but it seems to me that they setting an example of 'How To Do Things MI Ways'.

I personally feel extremely guilty for this issue, I'm well aware that I as Bently do have a very bad, yet completely unintended habit of stealing a lot of RP as him. (Somewhat the reason you won't see me drop on him much lately) The stealing RP thing is not intentional, however the point raised of "How to do things the MI way" is a valid assessment. I myself personally, and Bently as a character wants to see the best results from drops and see the unit made better. I don't claim to know how to do that because that's for people far smarter than myself, however I'm willing to put my character out there and do the more risky things (Such as touch the weird Alien artifact or walk by the sleeping bugs to grab the psychic trooper) so that players get to keep their character save and watch admins do the interesting things that I know they have planned. I'm willing to risk the life of my main character so players can see interesting things happen and get to watch a story unfold, which admittedly isn't as exciting as making a story happen yourself. 

It's incredibly odd for me as for the first 5-6 months of being in this community I do 100% see the complaints, I felt the same as a fresh faced player and character but I should stress it is an IC thing, not this big admin circle jerk. We as admins try our hardest to make sure everyone feels as involved as they can be realistically, however it should be stated that when critical plot points are raised, ICly a member of a command squad isn't very likely to let some random trooper sit down to talk to the big important people and figure out peace talks and such, it just wouldn't work that way. There are limits to how we can keep players involved but we are, again, doing our best and learning from feedback.

It should be stated that feedback is so incredibly useful. Should you as a player feel RP is taken away in a scenario, absolutely /report your thoughts AFTER the drop to let the admins know so we can learn how to get around it. We're looking to work to improve however we can. 

43 minutes ago, StevieJr said:

I don't see too many players taking the initiative

This is also a thing. However it's hard to know when to and when not to take the initiative. Just a simple idea for future reference. 

Should there be a drop where I'm playing on Bently and off doing my own thing trying to problem solve or doing some big "RP stealing" moment, if your character has an idea that they think may help, shoot Bently an IC PDA message for him to take other thoughts into account with out clogging up radio. He can also then later congratulate people's ideas should they be good and he use them to accomplish a mission. A simple idea that I think may help out a little. 

Got into quite a ramble there which I apologise for, issue raised is just one I feel deeply responsible for and want to fix for the sake of players having fun over myself or other admins, it is, at the end of the day, my job to make sure you guys are having fun. 

1 hour ago, saiphun987 said:

I love this community and I have settled down and won't leave this place for a LOOONG time. Love y'all ❤️

Also, love you too buddy, glad you're having fun here ❤️ 

I have seen the same thing and even mentioned it in the chat about a week or so ago.

Personally, I feel it comes down to a few things for activity:

1.) The overarching story is currently on hold. RP servers with an engaging and developing story that they can be a part of will always be a driving force towards player retention. We saw this growth several weeks ago when we were doing quite a few story elements and we were rushing towards the ending of the one chapter of the story line.

2.) Leadership Presence = more people. This is kind of a stretch but I feel a  minor one but the more leadership that is on the better. It opens a new dynamic when we see leadership other than Chevosky, Hayes, and Hughes for M.I. Same goes for Fleet.

3.) The Grant itself. Lets be honest in that the Grant needs an update. Everything is too spaced apart and not optimized for performance. That can be a turn off for new players who get on just to get bad performance.

4.) As what @StevieJr said, the drop in the server's administration activity reflects back into the playerbase. While some of us may know better, others may see it as those in charge of the server simply don't care / lost interest in the community. I am personally not saying that is the case but I won't be surprised if that does have an effect.

5.) My own personal point: Lack of Fleet activity again. We were doing extremely well rebuilding it up and those who wanted to do Fleet stayed on the server more which added to the population. Me being gone for two weeks for military shit seemed to have destroyed that effort.

Vacation Bruh. During the summer I'm always on the East Coast without access to le computer for weeks at a time. 

So, as someone that has been on this specific server going on two years with no real breaks, I can tell you, this is the summer ebb and flow. I've also been an admin for my entire time on the server, save for the first two weeks. (Thank you, drunk Xalphox.) 

We get slammed with people in May, June tapers off a bit, July is the same as June, people come back in August just before school starts again, then September - November are kinda low, then December and January pick up with activity again. 

People live lives outside of SSTRP. They go on vacations, go to school, have other obligations. 

Also, We as admins are tasked with creating RP scenarios for you, so if we're on leadership characters and do so, sometimes it can feel like we're stealing your RP and forcing you into something else. Usually, I just go with the flow of it. It even happens to me. Do I want to attend grenade spacing training while I'm on server? Nah, not really. But I do it because it offers an interesting and fun RP opportunity. 

I'm wondering where this Admin circle jerk is and when I can get to be part of it. Haha. No, literally, there is no Admin circle jerk, if it's perceived that there is, perceptions are wrong. The admins are there for the player base. We interact with the player base a lot than our leadership characters should, to be frankly honest. How often do you really think a Captain is going to be chilling in the bar cracking jokes with a Private? It's not a typical situation for rank relations, but most of the people with leadership characters try to interact with lower ranks as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, Mannulus said:

4.) As what @StevieJr said, the drop in the server's administration activity reflects back into the playerbase. While some of us may know better, others may see it as those in charge of the server simply don't care / lost interest in the community. I am personally not saying that is the case but I won't be surprised if that does have an effect.

Just touching on this. There are a fair number of the admin team that are on LOA currently. Some if it is for personal reasons, some have lost the spark and are taking time off. Technically, I am on an LOA until July 6th. I'm moving into a new apartment and have a TON of shit I should be doing instead of being on SST. Some admins are having personal issues, some are on vacation. We have an LOA post in the staff forums, but many of us don't want to have our personal business aired out for the entire community. If you're questioning if an Admin is on LOA, reach out to @F r a n c o or @Durango and they can confirm, however they won't tell you the reason for the LOA. 

7 hours ago, OpTiCFaZeSoCkzZz said:

@F r a n c o he's always available should an admin need to reach him as well a few admins being busy with IRL stuff which leads to the next point of why.

I'm mainly referring to on-server activity not just on computer.

I've been on the server for 2 years, and the pattern Hazy stated is pretty much accurate. The playerbase will pick up in late summer, and then drop. However, people just tend to lose interest in SST after long periods of playing it. RP gets stale, events get repetitive; whatever. Just give it time, people will come back.

As for stuff like leadership, that's always been an inherent issue in SST, independent of the playerbase. It's all about taking initiative.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY:

I am mainly referring to player activity, not admin activity completely. Like drawing in new players.

Addressing what @OpTiCFaZeSoCkzZz said;

I've been very busy personally as of the last two weeks. Designing merchandise is one of the many sudden irl obligations I've had to focus on so suddenly. I didn't even have much time to communicate with people, let alone consecutively administrate, and what little free time i did have was spent de-stressing. Not really sorry about it either.

Yes, I love the server whole-heartedly, but sometimes life happens and there's nothing we can do. It's an very unfortunate coincidence that both me and durango have been busy as of late, around the same time. I should be good to start coming back around come the 26th or so. Things'll be rolling very soon.

I'll address the admin circle jerk. If we're discussing teamspeak, I really can't comment on it. Some staff hang out in public channels, some sit AFK in the admin channels. 

As for in-character, it might seem like staff holds most of the leadership positions. This is true. In the past, a typical pre-requisite for becoming staff on the server meant being a solid NCO that people liked ICly and OOCly.

HOWEVER, if any player ever feels there is incredible admin circle jerk, bias, ect., take a PICTURE, a VIDEO, something I can use as proof to address the situation more directly and with more insight. It'd be very helpful.

I mean @F r a n c o

but also the events

they r either held at 6 in the morning with 5 players on or at 11 at night with 5 players on

like tf? why not hold it when we have reached our peak of players and everyone is getting bored. all there is to do on the ship is go to the bar and talk and then get into awkward silences, everything is so artificial by that i mean the rp. none of it -feels- real ive been playing on the other server and its the best rp ive ever had and ive only been playing for 3 days now 

Also! No player has a chance of going anywhere in general because no player (admin or not) is going to demote himself or is going to pk himself for the chance to let another to take his spot. This means that admins now run the entirety of the server and it leaves the players with nothing to go for.  

im ditching .net tho tbh

24 minutes ago, Arrow said:

I mean @F r a n c o

but also the events

they r either held at 6 in the morning with 5 players on or at 11 at night with 5 players on

like tf? why not hold it when we have reached our peak of players and everyone is getting bored. all there is to do on the ship is go to the bar and talk and then get into awkward silences, everything is so artificial by that i mean the rp. none of it -feels- real ive been playing on the other server and its the best rp ive ever had and ive only been playing for 3 days now 

Also! No player has a chance of going anywhere in general because no player (admin or not) is going to demote himself or is going to pk himself for the chance to let another to take his spot. This means that admins now run the entirety of the server and it leaves the players with nothing to go for.  

im ditching .net tho tbh

We know you are.

35 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Also! No player has a chance of going anywhere in general because no player (admin or not) is going to demote himself or is going to pk himself

@Arrow Also, have you seen where I have gotten myself?

3 hours ago, Arrow said:

I mean @F r a n c o

but also the events

im ditching .net tho tbh

This is completely inaccurate depending on what time zone you live in. Events are held during peak times, usually around 5/6 pm est. 

I know this because almost daily I get home from work and an event is going on.

3 hours ago, Arrow said:

Our NCO churn is nigh ridiculous. I'll come back from a week long LOA and find Sergeants who I don't even know. XD