StevieJr

Concern for loss of playerbase.

Excuse me for not being particularly concerned, tbh

SSTRP works this way. Players come, players go. Population declines as players become busy or just plain bored with the RP, this is all natural and inevitable for even the most veteran players. Everyone gets burnt out. Then, new players surge in a month or so, sparking interest back into those burnt out players and attracting more as a result.

It's a rollercoaster baby

ride it 

Hm, maybe we should make the server more eye catching. I mean what will catch the players eye more, a server named "sstrp2" or a server named "NS - Starship Troopers". It is obvious that any fan would press on the one with the second name first. Changing the title to something like "Starship Troopers.net, serious Rp [PAC and tool trust]" Would suck up a lot of players.

4 hours ago, Durango said:

Excuse me for not being particularly concerned, tbh

SSTRP works this way. Players come, players go. Population declines as players become busy or just plain bored with the RP, this is all natural and inevitable for even the most veteran players. Everyone gets burnt out. Then, new players surge in a month or so, sparking interest back into those burnt out players and attracting more as a result.

It's a rollercoaster baby

ride it 

I've already paid for the ride Durango :D

2 hours ago, Ymot Tommy Wort said:

Changing the title to something like "Starship Troopers.net, serious Rp [PAC and tool trust]" Would suck up a lot of players.

I agree with this completely, the name Starship Trooper.Net" would be a lot better. 

I think we should change the game mode to NS - Starship Troopers - and have the server name be StarshipTroopers.net

NS - STARSHIP TROOPERS.net  - NEW THINGS - BIG UPDATE - PAC - FREE ERP - VERY WOW

I skipped over a lot of the later posts or skimmed them briefly but I get the basic gist.

I personally love the server, the people on it, the admins, the roleplay, the events, etc. So the problem doesn't reside in any one thing really. I just simply don't have the time or the willingness to split my time up so much to include SSTRP in all the things I want to do right now. RP is one of the few things I can manage efficiently during school so when summer came along I had a lot more free time and a lot more drive to want to do other things. One of which was getting back into an ArmA unit which REALLY drains my time. As a result SSTRP is kind of just left as the last thing on my list of things to do.

I don't want to leave the server/community or have my characters removed or demoted as I want to stick around. But with the story halted and my initial boost of energy with a new server dying down I felt I needed to take a healthy break. As some of you may know I went full force in the first few weeks and months that I came here which was essentially putting all my time into the server and one character for a long time.

This resulted in me being up to date on everyone and everything happening and it made me feel a lot less intimidated with everything and anything new that came about because I could digest it. Another issue on my end now is that I have been out of the loop for roughly a month give or take, which makes me want to wait until I feel ready to go back in for another full run of SSTRP. There are new people with new characters or positions that could effect my characters and I'd rather just put all that on hold until the timeline gets back on track so I can take it in all at once.

As others have said, this is usually the status quo with SSTRP or any Military RP for that matter. They run on a simple timeline majority of the time ; Passive RP @ Hub>Deploy on an Event from Hub>Return to Hub>Repeat. Aside from the slight changes that can be made to that system, it's bound to get repetitive. People come and go all the time, people take breaks all the time.

Changes in the playerbase, even negative, are often considered healthy, not everyone is going to stay or be available or have the wanting to play ALL the time.

As others have said: natural ebbs and flows of a GMOD server. The problem is just that things are in a state of stagnation at the moment because the hectic nature of summer schedules. Server population spikes once events start (usually), mostly because things are happening and there's NPCs to left click. As soon as the civil war starts getting back on track and the big, bombastic campaigns gets people invested again, things should kick up. Simply have to wait until everyone's time is actually manageable.

Personally, the small playerbase is always fun, you get some of the cooler missions with 6-11 people as compared to the 20-30 people missions that way. Admins, make the most out of some cool small-scale stuff, shit's always fun.

4 hours ago, Noviix said:

putting all my time into the server and one character for a long time.

This resulted in me being up to date on everyone and everything happening

get ready to either have to clock the same amount of time to be as efficient, or have your presence ingame be more faded and as a result, you'll have less of a grip on the situation as a ssgt

or crack a whip on your underlings so they'd actually feed you up to date information

just saying

1 hour ago, J. Jordan said:

you get some of the cooler missions with 6-11 people

john is correct. i've always enjoyed to run lowpop missions so i could put in more detail into it and have it be more paced, most people who were on them agreed with my thinking.

Thank you everyone for your inputs on this topic, it really means a lot and is providing me with a lot of information

5 hours ago, Noviix said:

I don't want to leave the server/community or have my characters removed or demoted as I want to stick around.

Which is absoloutely fine! We 100% don't wanna hold people ransom, no one HAS to play SST, just need to understand that when they take on NCO or higher positions their prescense is much more needed/expected, sure you'll be demoted while you're gone but that's to open space for other players and fresh faces, that place can be gained again but you would absoloutely have to work for it, means everyone gets a chance. 

2 hours ago, J. Jordan said:

Admins, make the most out of some cool small-scale stuff, shit's always fun.

As @Archer said, smaller events are fantastic for more roleplay and story based missions, this is something our dear friend Orwell shines in. Creating really well thought out story driven and genuinely engaging drops for the players, quite a few admins are taking full advantage of the smaller player count and halt in the ovr arching civil war plot to take time to create smaller side plots and also do their own things, which is honestly very refreshing. I myself have the Arachnid story line my drops have been focused around for the last few weeks, something that would have been hard to do while the Civil War is in full swing and churning forward and 100mph. So while the stagnation in the plot has its downsides, it also has the upsides too. 

i personally wouldn't be worried too much @StevieJr . The trend of servers losing pop during summer is quite common; just give people time to adjust to their new summer schedules and to regain interest in playing. not like u can ever escape these types of servers lol

also i keep coming back to this post. something that FAW does RLY well is the fact that it feels like SST this server feels like...a cod WW3 game. its bland and stale. one day on FAW and i ensure you you will have so much fun. 

@HazyDay  i wasent refering to times or timezones. i was refering to the fact that at some points the server will have 25+ people and they hold off the event for late at night (or anyother fuckign time idc) my point is admins dont seem to want to encourage fun and rp in the server. they think doing events is a job and they would rather do it as soon or as late as possible. so that they wont have many people. admins just dont seem to care about players

6 minutes ago, Arrow said:

also i keep coming back to this post. something that FAW does RLY well is the fact that it feels like SST this server feels like...a cod WW3 game. its bland and stale. one day on FAW and i ensure you you will have so much fun. 

@HazyDay  i wasent refering to times or timezones. i was refering to the fact that at some points the server will have 25+ people and they hold off the event for late at night (or anyother fuckign time idc) my point is admins dont seem to want to encourage fun and rp in the server. they think doing events is a job and they would rather do it as soon or as late as possible. so that they wont have many people. admins just dont seem to care about players

Arrow, again, you're full of it. There are events ran when there are more than 5 people on the server and they are ran at all times of day. We admins actually have a post in the staff forums that we have to comment on when we ran something. The longest amount of time between events so far since that post has been up has been about 16 hours. (Which is a fairly good break) 

Some of us on the admin team do not like to disturb the current RP that is going on to run missions because the RP is constructive to people's character development. Just because you're bored doesn't mean that everyone else is bored. Also, admins do a lot behind the scenes to encourage RP. Not all RP is based off of missions and being on missions or being deployed. If you're looking for something like that, our server is not the one you want to be on. 

Event running literally has nothing to do with the amount of players on the server. Admins will run events when there are 20 or 5 people.

While I appreciate your attempt to know what goes on on the server 24/7 when you've left and started playing the other server, you're simply wrong in your assumptions. As far as I'm concerned, you've made your mind up and no matter what any of us say, you're not going to listen. 

20 minutes ago, Arrow said:

I’m curious as to what you’re referencing regarding the .net vs FAW situation. Because, let’s face it, that’s partially what this thread is about. I haven’t played on the other server myself, so I won’t make judgments, considering everything I have heard about it has almost certainly been biased. But what is it that they do that makes the server feel more like SST than this server? What makes you feel like this server is just “cod WW3”?

As to the mission timings, a lot of the time we don’t run missions when there are that many people on because either a: we ran one not long ago and that’s WHY there are that many people on, or b: we have asked and people are happy RPing and don’t want a mission.

But my question stands. Could you elaborate on your point?

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

This statement is seems to be making the point that .net doesn’t come across as SST anymore? I don’t believe that terrible models, absent staff, and horribly ran events were what a server needed to give off the ‘SST’ vibe. Along with this, the “one day on FAW and I ensure you you will have so much fun” is completely bullshit. We’ve had a few players jump on over to check out the server and even participate in an event or two. Funny thing is... they always come back, and almost always talk shit about what they’d experienced. As for the ‘staleness’, it is usually depending on the players to create passive role play with each other to pass the time on ship. We cannot do events every half hour, mostly due to the fact that we need to allow players the opportunity to develop their characters, something I’m told is not happening on the new FAW server. I get that this is kind of a rant and really opinionated, but come on man. They’re doing stuff we’ve already done, worse.

1 hour ago, Hicks said:

I’m curious as to what you’re referencing regarding the .net vs FAW situation. Because, let’s face it, that’s partially what this thread is about. I haven’t played on the other server myself, so I won’t make judgments, considering everything I have heard about it has almost certainly been biased. But what is it that they do that makes the server feel more like SST than this server? What makes you feel like this server is just “cod WW3”?

As to the mission timings, a lot of the time we don’t run missions when there are that many people on because either a: we ran one not long ago and that’s WHY there are that many people on, or b: we have asked and people are happy RPing and don’t want a mission.

But my question stands. Could you elaborate on your point?

I'd say from my minimal experience the NCO's aren't as friendly with the enlisted and there's a whole lot more bloodshed plus the events aren't scripted to be won every time. 

54 minutes ago, Silent said:

This statement is seems to be making the point that .net doesn’t come across as SST anymore? I don’t believe that terrible models, absent staff, and horribly ran events were what a server needed to give off the ‘SST’ vibe. Along with this, the “one day on FAW and I ensure you you will have so much fun” is completely bullshit. We’ve had a few players jump on over to check out the server and even participate in an event or two. Funny thing is... they always come back, and almost always talk shit about what they’d experienced. As for the ‘staleness’, it is usually depending on the players to create passive role play with each other to pass the time on ship. We cannot do events every half hour, mostly due to the fact that we need to allow players the opportunity to develop their characters, something I’m told is not happening on the new FAW server. I get that this is kind of a rant and really opinionated, but come on man. They’re doing stuff we’ve already done, worse.

How many hours have you spent on the server?

19 minutes ago, Fitz said:

How many hours have you spent on the server?

I spent about an hour and a half, maybe two. My statements were based off of what little I experienced, as well as what has been told to me.

Just now, Silent said:

I spent about an hour and a half, maybe two. My statements were based off of what little I experienced, as well as what has been told to me.

What others tell you is biased and therefore invalid, and what you say from your own experience is invalid due to lack of playtime. Come back when you've played 20 hours or so, and please don't make such definite statements without prior disclosure of your inexperience.

1 hour ago, Fitz said:

What others tell you is biased and therefore invalid, and what you say from your own experience is invalid due to lack of playtime. Come back when you've played 20 hours or so, and please don't make such definite statements without prior disclosure of your inexperience.

Biased my ass. Fitz, I went on there for 6 hours, did their first official bug drop, it was mediocre at best, the passive was boring and stale and involved circle jerks of older players rather than new ones, I had to force myself into a couple just to get involved. The first drop was not nearly as well thought out and planned as SSTRP.net events and went completely off canon, I even heard server dicksuckers in Discord complain about it, who are NCOs on FaW. So don't come calling it bias.

(Not to mention you have to pay for PAC3, and also the moritas are twitchy and buggy as hell).

The admins and owner didn't seem that bad of dudes, I actually enjoyed several conversations with them in person. But they just don't seem as experienced as SSTRP.net mission makers.