Ideas for Marauders

2 minutes ago, hewhogrillsbears said:

We hasten extensive medical treatments, ship repairs, etc for the sake of brevity. Perhaps a temporary TK while they're at "training" could solve that. I'm just thinking aloud.

Ship repairs for the Grant only take 48 IC hours from near destruction. 

14 minutes ago, hewhogrillsbears said:

We hasten extensive medical treatments, ship repairs, etc for the sake of brevity. Perhaps a temporary TK while they're at "training" could solve that. I'm just thinking aloud.

I hastened Pathfinder training for Young to a 2 week TK and that's twice as long as Marauder training. There's precedent for it. I think having existing MI characters become Marauders would lessen the feeling of elitism and clique-ness. Also, changing the Marauder bay into just offices and a technical bay, or moving it closer to the normal MI barracks on the map itself, would change things a lot. Encouraging more integration, both on and off deployment is key.

As for what the Marauders need to change into, I like Tony's idea a lot, especially because that's the kind of thing I had been trying to make happen a long time ago.

A support suit with long-range weaponry, to fill a niche that the MI doesn't fill, is exactly what the doctor prescribed, I think.

Advanced sensor suites for detection purposes, seismic probes to assist where a psychic cannot (considering MIPOD operatives are not powerful enough to map tunnels), and indirect fire capable weapons. None of these things are things that MI do and would produce countless opportunities for roleplay and good teamwork between the MI and Marauders.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

it's implied that their induction into the marauders is such a rigorous process it takes months. think of a mech pilot from battletech.

Exactly this

1 hour ago, hewhogrillsbears said:

I haven't been at this iteration for too long, so I'm unsure if there's an OOC reason for this.

Why are marauders obligated to make a new character? We've allowed people to enter the 112th as Ex-Marauders after having their status revoked and they've integrated fine, but not vice-versa. Perhaps if we allowed players to becomes marauders from their MI characters, not only would we offer another avenue of character progression, but it may even lessen the animosity between the two units. If the problem is a lack of IC experience, perhaps limit the MI character applications to PFC/Lance at the minimum as the faction is fairly small anyway.

I don't know about the whole obligation for new characters -- I've joined the Marauders twice on Freeson, first starting out as a simpleton MI grunt, but then again, perhaps different circumstances.. ? And I'd go as far as saying that the last idea wouldn't be bad for a minimum bar set. 

Another idea I just brainstormed with @Hicks a few minutes ago was the idea of uhhhhhhhhhh, modular Marauder suits. An example would be the following.

A lightly armored suit without many features, it only has power lifting and the likes. Whenever they deploy, they can choose different modules to deploy with (Heavy armor, sensor suites, howitzer pieces, mortar pieces, or other gear.) This provides a skill ceiling and incentive to coordinate with the droplead. If a Marauder were to drop with minimal gear, they could simply be a mobile exosuit to assist the MI and -then- request gear be dropped in for them to mount onto their suit /w the assistance of an engineer (or on their own with extended time.) A good example of this would be a Marauder dropping with a regular Morita, covering the MI, carrying casualties, and helping engineering lift metal walls into place to establish a janky FOB. Then the Marauder would request some heavier gear be dropped in so they could defend the FOB.

2 hours ago, hewhogrillsbears said:

Marauder training is six months IC and requires 2 years service IC. Marauders are brought forth by a selection process, best of the best in their unit kind of thing. Not every soldier is capable of being a Marauder, but Marauders are capable of being soldiers, as that is where they started. 

I'm locking the topic for now. I have a lot to sift through. 

If you lot think of anything else, please send me a forum message.