Jump to content
Fitz

How does Gmod look so good in this? (And why can't SSTRP?)

Recommended Posts

 

I honestly can't remember what's in this video, I just took it back a year or so ago on a 40k RP. It's amazing how they used the weather mods, had some great NS plugins to make it look amazing, and it still didn't lag one bit. Does anyone know why this is? I know you have all already probably tried the weather mod, but my god, it is truly amazing, really. 

 

Any reason why SSTRP seems to be so laggy?

 

I know the answers are probably simple for those who aren't simple, but alas I am so I'm interested. 

 

Thank.

 

@redneckrOadkill Do you remember AIG 2.0 or did you not play? I totally remember you from some 40k RP's but I don't think you remember me.

 

I know @Jester 'members. 

Share this post


Link to post

static bugs in small numbers, relatively low looking number of props

 

at this point, lag looks so normal to me that i barely notice anything on .net

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, CamGrrr said:

static bugs in small numbers, relatively low looking number of props

  

at this point, lag looks so normal to me that i barely notice anything on .net

True, the map's small, but you can't see all the NPC's I suppose because of the darkness. There were quite a few, and as far as 40k RP goes, we used to spawn a LOT of NPC's, and it never got to bad so far as I remember. The main thing is the weather mod that I'm wondering about. 

 

How intensive is it?

Share this post


Link to post

A large part of it is also the NPCs we use for the Arachnids. Those are the old SST Arachnids, we use our own .Net bugs. As you can see the old ones don't charge you, due to having a tiny aggro range. The newer ones have an infinite aggro range so they can actually swarm and such like they should, but the models are buggy (excuse the pun) and get mistaken for Props I believe, which means all the limbs collide and the bugs push against the map and props and it just tears apart frames. At least, that's what I'm pretty sure causes it. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Fitz said:

 

I honestly can't remember what's in this video, I just took it back a year or so ago on a 40k RP. It's amazing how they used the weather mods, had some great NS plugins to make it look amazing, and it still didn't lag one bit. Does anyone know why this is? I know you have all already probably tried the weather mod, but my god, it is truly amazing, really. 

 

Any reason why SSTRP seems to be so laggy?

 

I know the answers are probably simple for those who aren't simple, but alas I am so I'm interested. 

 

Thank.

 

@redneckrOadkill Do you remember AIG 2.0 or did you not play? I totally remember you from some 40k RP's but I don't think you remember me.

 

I know @Jester 'members. 

it looks good because it's so fucking dark you can't see how awful it looks underneath the obnoxious Instagram filter rp schema makers seem to think are 10000% vital to an immersive roleplay experience

 

also lol whoever did this vid is kind of bad

Share this post


Link to post

They only have like 20ppl. We did a 4 am event with Xal and it was one of the smoothest events we've ever had for how many props he used bc we only had like 16 goys

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Soapy Soap said:

I want that filter, and I want it N O W.

use the settings menu on your monitor to create a preset w washed out warm colours and reduced brightness

 

also crank up the blue and turn down the other colours

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cat danny 25 said:

That filter is literally just a gmod day/night mod that doubles the natural map shadows and lowers the color saturation.

it's ugly is what it is

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, radical roach said:

it looks good because it's so fucking dark you can't see how awful it looks underneath the obnoxious Instagram filter rp schema makers seem to think are 10000% vital to an immersive roleplay experience

 

also lol whoever did this vid is kind of bad

Yeah, I think I agree with the first part. Recorded by me pressing alt-10 in shadowplay to record the last five minutes because I thought the atmosphere was cool.

9 hours ago, OpTiCFaZeSoCkzZz said:

A large part of it is also the NPCs we use for the Arachnids. Those are the old SST Arachnids, we use our own .Net bugs. As you can see the old ones don't charge you, due to having a tiny aggro range. The newer ones have an infinite aggro range so they can actually swarm and such like they should, but the models are buggy (excuse the pun) and get mistaken for Props I believe, which means all the limbs collide and the bugs push against the map and props and it just tears apart frames. At least, that's what I'm pretty sure causes it. 

Yeah I actually think that makes sense.

2 hours ago, redneckrOadkill said:

I never played in a community called AIG, I did AlteredRP, Explosive Pineapples, and a little Hammerfall but no AIG before .net

So I just remember you from Hammerfall then, alrighty.

2 hours ago, Soapy Soap said:

AlteredERP you mean? Explosive Pineapples/Hammerfall.  Basically were the samething.

Not for 40k.

2 hours ago, cat danny 25 said:

That filter is literally just a gmod day/night mod that doubles the natural map shadows and lowers the color saturation.

It's a NS thing you can enable/disable. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×