Sign in to follow this  
Xalphox

Forum & site issues

Hi all,

Quick explanation regarding the site issues: I missed an invoice with the previous host (OVH) which led to the service being suspended - normally this isn't an issue and the service is reinstated instantaneously after the balance is paid (which it promptly was). However unfortunately the system they use that is responsible for suspending and reinstating VPSes went awry and corrupted/catastrophically broke our VPS. The last couple of days has been like pulling teeth as I went back and forth with their support, but finally I gained access to our data yesterday and have since moved us to a new provider. I'm condensing down the process a lot - but TL;DR it transpires copying MySQL databases from one server to another when (1) the source isn't running a mysql server and you have to use the actual files in /var/lib/mysql and (2) you can't actually access /var/lib/mysql is a slow and painful process.

At the time of writing, the wiki isn't back yet - there's a few extra steps to getting this up (the WYSIWYG is a separate node service) but I'm hoping to get it up by the end of today, if not early tomorrow.

The site will probably be slow for a day or two whilst the cache is built. Some people may still find that the site isn't working for up to 48 hours as the changes to the sstrp.net domain propagates across the internet (https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/domain-names/dns-nameserver-changes/domain-names-dns-changes), though for most it should be near instantaneous.

Xalphox

The ultimate lesson here is that clearly you can earn big brain cash as a dog brain if you work in web hosting.

The smart move, people. 

• Funny 1