Father Lee

[Fixing what we already have] Part 1 of 6

Right so I am going to be playing Devil's Advocate here and Say this very much so out right. The Marauders are mean't to be Specialized Infantry aka Special bois they do the things Infantry Cannot which is to Open impassable doors and absorb Bullets so that Infantry can Complete a Drop/Missions with the least amount of causalities as possible. The Following list I have Compiled below are a mountain or Problems and Statements from Other threads on another Discussion about the Marauders when Hazy was here. I assume that this can provide some insight into what the community wants to see from the Marauders and maybe these help as solutions.

1. Marauder Segregation: The 13th Marauder Detachment is a Mechanized Aegis Mk II Armor wearing Unit that uses big Guns and Heavy Weapons to Complete Missions. The Most Logical Explanation for the Segregation is where else would you put the Mechs..? I don't think we can put them in the Bunks with the Infantry..obviously it cannot fit. Secondly If anyone here has played the Starship troopers FPS:Marauder you would all know that the Marauders were looked up to by the Infantry as like Marines would look up to Master Chief in Halo they see them as a Saviour of sorts  not someone to set apart of and show distaste towards. For example I heard someone say ICLY behind a Marauders back "Those fucking Rauders think they hot shit with they big guns and fancy armor..the fuckers" I was in shock. What type of Hatred did they Deserve for this? We have to look past the Fact that Not Everyone can be a special Boi otherwise it won't feel special anymore. Hence Forth Bring me to my Second Point How one should be picked for marauder.

2.Being Picked for the Marauder Program: As for being picked for the Marauder program it should be Based on the Merit of a Mobile Infantry Trooper who has the Minimum Service of Two Years which is for example the Rank of an Sergeant or Corporal. If I remember Correctly it was [hewhogrillsbears Said "PFC/Lance should be able to get accepted as that is like two years in-game"] I for one think that it is a superb Idea for two reason one to underscore my point Earlier If Infantry can use their main Character to join the Marauders I think that would instantly Tie the knot with Infantry and the 13th because it will cause more Infantry to Marauder Interaction as those who do get picked will not just drop the friends they had from infantry so they will still speak to them with nothing changing but their armor and the color of their Beret. This will also Boost the trust aspect as  they will get to know what kind of people the Marauders are instead of think they are just Mechanized Fuck boys who hang around and look cool.

3. The Role-play Factor for Marauders on-ship: Right for starters I heard from Deckers he said what this community needs is people who spur the RP w/o the help of Admins because they are lazy/busy so therefore what I can do to counteract this is to Cause some role-play random Occurances for example: A Loud explosion can be heard from the Back of the Marauder bay one of the arms of the Mechs they had blew off through a battle test. After that would be evented the Marauders would rush over and Role-play the Situation, this will give them something to do and Enlist the assistance of engineers MI-13th Interaction or for another example: Frank hits Joey who is a Marauder of a Higher rank Frank gets NJP by a Staff Sergeant in the MI. Simple things like this cause interaction weather or not it be warranted. Not all forms of role-play are pleasant. That being said I would also like to say Maintenance of their Marauder Suit is something I have never seen anyone do. It is said on the Marauder Fact sheet that you should try to bring your Marauder suit back in one piece at all times now I know Marauders get shot up alot so them just using over the armor the had from a drop earlier is not logical if it is true RP i say we have someone overlook them when they are fixing the aegis armor so when on a drop if it is not in proper condition that will be how much Armor they get in the drop itself. Which I think is Fair and very IC.

I think I played a very Key role in this little Marauder Apartheid so I would like to know your thoughts bear in mind these are just suggestions/solutions which I deem Logical and are not set in stone nor is it gospel. With that being Said Keep this Wholesome and Don't Shit post :).  Thank you for taking the time to read this Feel free to add and or take anything away FRANCO and Deckers I am looking at you guys ;)

Edited by Father Lee
Color Change
  • Optimistic 1

4 hours ago, fentanull said:

marauders are a shit faction and shouldn't be with the main group on standard drops.

They actually have their use... saying Marauders are shit are outright disrespect there mate. By the way I actually agreed with this fixing post.

The Other 5 Parts are just me going through the Other Factions Not only Marauders unless yall want me too cuz I can Rattle off Issues and Solutions like a New York times editor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fentanull said:

marauders are a shit faction and shouldn't be with the main group on standard drops.

A few of my friends left because of this. Nothing against the marauders themselves, as in the players or their leader, but just their presence on a drop drains the badassery pool. Simplifies too much shit, too. We don't need a support unit designed to open doors or make fortifications out of cars. Those should both be jobs for sappers, but aren't, because marauders do it better (and faster). Also balancing a drop to account for a marauder(s) still means you're catering to them instead of grunts. Disagree with the first block because of this, encouraging people to idolize marauders IC isn't the solution. It'll just create bigger problems out of the current ones.

Anyways, reading through the third block, I agree with the Frank vs Joey shit, that stuff is cool. The mandatory suit roleplay shit while an admin watches over you in observe isn't though. You aren't gaining anything storywise for doing it, and are effectively solo rping. Imagine the server as its own, lived in world that keeps going while you aren't connected. Like fading to black medical roleplay, or, more relevant, just going off the assumption that your marauder takes care of his suit in the downtime. Time shouldn't stop for your character because you aren't playing. Sorry to come off as so preachy, but calling it out as it is, man. Don't encourage more mandatory RP that'll burn people out. Gmod RP player retention is already low.

Back to the Frank vs Joey sitch... Nobody ever does that stuff naturally, because Garry's Mod is actually about your character's big dick progression, not character progression. It's too risky to roleplay outside of the norm and create conflict and what not, since that can mean missing out on promotions. People prefer high ranks, big guns, and power over their story. MMORPGs handle RP way better when it comes to that bullshit. 

Solutions to the Problem is quite  Simple give people what they want with the intents.. I am really sleepy Rn So mayeb when m yMarauder |Apps get looked...d. FUCK TYPOS.....

The issue with marauders currently is that there was an element of power creep on them for the past year or so turning them from 1 marauder has the strength of 2 MI on a drop in terms of balance, to now 1 marauder can probably wipe out the Grant in a pvp scenario 

Childish bandwagoning that is a hate for them because of muh pfc is far from helpful. 

Regarding the above post I would strongly disagree with the idea that reaching a certain rank means you've been around a certain amount of time. A clearcut example of this would be where an individual has gone from Private to corporal in 24 ooc hours. This would mean overnight that character has aged weeks if not months. 

The SST universe is drastically different from the principles aimed at reaching a certain rank after a certain time. Rico in the film goes from fresh Recruit to Lieutenant in a year at a most. 

In my eyes The thing that will promote marauder-infantry interaction is an active set of marauders interacting with Infantry and the Infantry not sitting there like "Look at those veterans and people who can snap my spine with a flick of their wrist while they're in their suits. What a bunch of faggots"

Also posting off phone is horrific. Xal please make this easier

Edited by Admyral Joe

3 hours ago, Admyral Joe said:

The issue with marauders currently is that there was an element of power creep on them for the past year or so turning them from 1 marauder has the strength of 2 MI on a drop in terms of balance, to now 1 marauder can probably wipe out the Grant in a pvp scenario 

As a quick aside, this is definitely not the only issue. If that were so, Marauders would've been in a good state when their armour wasn't very high. Marauders haven't been in a good state for much longer than that.

You can approach the problem of marauders from a lot of different angles, but the fundamental is that they should support the MI rather than detracting focus from them. Having a super cool powerful guy in a suit is fine, just like having a tank is fine. As long as they're supporting the infantry, it works. 

• Like 1