El Excellente

Editing the Wiki

0.5. Finding the wiki

image.png

Click on Wiki, bitch.

1. Creating a wiki page

Hello. You might want to create a wiki page for your character and you're wondering about how you do right that. In order to create a page, you search for it. Let's create a page for my old character.

Now that we have searched for our character's name, we found no page with that name - what a jolly surprise! Let's create the page then.

Spoiler

image.png

2. Inserting our character template

On the following page, you would see an empty field with nothing but your characters name as a header. Of course, you could just type right away. But a) it'd look shit and b) nobody reads it anway! So let's insert our standardized template which offers all the important information at a glance. Templates are absolutely safe to use when on your character page. In order to add one, click on Insert; activate the dropdown menu. Click on Template. Search for the "Person" template.

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

2. Editing our template

Now we have our template on the page. That's great, but you still need to enter your info! Click on "Add more information" and edit to your hearts content! Always make sure to add the fields so it leaves them blank. If you don't add them to the template, the fields will be filled with brackets and word. Fields are not added when you see the small black/white box next to it (see picture one). Click it to add it.. If you don't know some information, leave the field blank. If you want to add a picture, upload it.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

On pictures

If you're uploading a picture, you can do that. If your picture is called something like 3141274384321732.jpg; don't worry.

Before uploading, you can change the destination name to "Matene.jpg"; if you upload sfdhbsdfh21334234_cfada.png, you'll have to change it to "Matene.png" respectively. In order to add the image to your character page, enter the designated filename.

Also, if I see a paris hilton picture i'll ban you hard

3. Writing text & finishing touches

That's it! Now you might want to write a short (!!!) character biography or his military history, such as promotions et cetera. Use the headers and subheaders for stuff like awards et cetera.

Spoiler

image.png

3. Categorizing - not necessary for people pages anymore

Lastly, my boy needs to be put into the "People" category. Click the three black bars, Categories. Search for "People", add it. If you're a NCO, search for Non-Commissioned Officers, too. Same for COs. At later dates, we'll have Seperatists and dead people and whatnot.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Eventually, we will pull some information from the server, so that your rank updates automatically. But if you want a character page on the wiki, this is the way to go for now!

18 hours ago, Bohannon said:

Yo how do I add an image,

Bottom of the page, grey bar.

"Upload file"

In the field

Destination filename: 

Enter what you wish. Let's just say you want to upload a picture for Thacker, name it Thacker.jpg

When you edit the template, there is a field called Image. Just type Thacker.jpg there. You need the file extension. You also need the right file extension. If you upload a .png file, your file will have to be named Thacker.png! But the wiki will generally tell you if you did something wrong in these regards.

18 hours ago, Bohannon said:

also on the template for the ribbons and medals what do I do just type like Purple heart and the picture  will show up?

Medals and awards are currently still a bit complicated and I need to find a way to make them more accessible.

- but while typing this I just saw Xalphox removed the field.

http://wiki.starshiptroopersrp.net/index.php/Awards

if you weren't awarded anything during a legitimate award ceremony, it's best to assume you got jackshit 

some people award themselves tho but who gives a fuck its on them 

notes:

if your character has served for 2 years before or during your time on the server (1 day irl = 3 ingame), you can get the veterancy ribbon provided you went career

campaign ribbons are mostly slapped on by everyone who played in a campaign or is to be assumed to be there icly (no sense for a lt to say he didnt drop because he was busy irl now is there), it doesnt really matter

purple hearts are no longer handed out for any injury, only for severe / critical ones such as amputation of a limb

general specialization is mostly a joke because of the attachement system, you don't get training nowadays. the attachements are also technically for the mk1 rifle too, a drum mag and a bipod doesnt make it into a mk2 or a mk3

the rest is self explanatory

normally i'd say you have to run it with one of the canon curators (like me or sw) to avoid conflicts but since that pretty much went out the window with the civil war schtick, i think anything will be approved. let sw know out of courtesy anyway.

10 hours ago, erby said:

Can systems/planets/continents/countries/cities be added?

We already have a bunch of locations on the wiki so i'd rather settle for quality now than overall quantity. If you want to add new planets, you'd preferably look at one of those official colonies.

I don't see much point in adding new countries but if you really want to add cities and continents on some planet, go ahead. eventually i'll create a city template if need be.

Dumb question. Tried creating a template but when I did so it switched up the areas into Alphabetical order instead of the order I had added them into it on, and subsequently didn't appear. Spoiler has a picture of it. 

Spoiler

image.png