Sign in to follow this  
cat danny 25

The Direction of Medical

Hi, all.

So, as some of you may or may not know, we appear to be having a small crisis in regards to medical leadership at the moment. With the removal of Dex, I have been instated as a temporary CMO as a last resort to try and keep the faction together. While I don't sincerely believe this will be a long-term project by any means, I can only hope to try and salvage a dying faction until the Universal Galactic Centurion finds someone willing and able to properly fit the role. Until that time comes, I suppose you guys are stuck with me. So, first and foremost, I am looking for input from the community in regards to what you guys would like to see more of ICly and OOCly. I'm hoping primarily to get administrator recommendations for how I ought to proceed, as they have a better understanding of faction running and management than I do, simply because they're better connected to the 'loop' that is the behind the curtains of SST.net. As it stands, I am also looking for player input given that I'm certain few of the standing administrators arent particularly interested in making characters in the faction, given that they all have their own factions and issues to deal with.

So, I'll make this very simple for everyone. I'm looking for proposals regarding overall community opinion of what might make the medical faction more appealing to players both new and old, and which direction might be best as a whole. Input from current faction leaders either through a post, a PM or a steam message would be much obliged. I need all of the help I can get at the moment.

Thank you, and here's hoping for the best.

@Mr Marijuana

@Medic

@HazyDay

@Rook

• Like 1

• Make it more accessible
    - to people who do not want to study several books, guides, google documents and whatever else for a second degree
  • Speak to current admins about giving more opportunities
    - for triage time and wound dealing in their missions (this would fit with the more-mission-roleplay directive too).

Whenever I've had conversations about Medical, what usually rises up is the fact that people who have no medical knowledge whatsoever feel alienated by it. Sure, you will want people who can actually roleplay and know not to just cut off people's limbs or stab them with epipens, but we're not a community of doctors either.

The last successful medical faction had a simple "cheat sheet" which all medical personnel could use to roleplay off if they wanted to. Promotions were then offered to people who got more in depth and involved with learning. If you want interest in medical ramped up I would try and get them more involved, hands-on and maybe even required for some missions.

The problem is people forget that your main audience here are teenagers and 9-5 working adults who want to spend a few hours typing roleplay and go to bed. Pander to that mindset and mold them into the story writers you want, not flatten them with literature, learning guides, tests and an entire zip file of technical documents.

That's my two cents about it.

What i've always said is make the Medical training more streamlined. Take Engineers for instance. Both myself and Medic are WELL aware that the SOP and training for Engineers is not entirely accurate, but the general idea and concepts are there. We've continued this and I like to think that Engineers have maintained themselves partly due to a streamlined training. I'd say do the same with Medical. The hard reality is that we have alot of teenagers and early adults that form the bulk of this community. If they wanted to exact real world engineer, medic, pilot, etc RP, they would go out and do it in the real world. People are on here to have fun, so drowning them with TOO MUCH detail quickly bores them.

Now what does that mean? I don't know about anyone else, but the med RP i've seen on events is almost devastatingly boring and drawn out. I've seen the whole platoon, and occasionally events get held up cause a medic has to do a complete breakdown of 10 /mes of clamping an artery or something with forceps, quik-clot, celox, bandages, benadine, iodine, etc. etc. etc. etc. The point i'm making is that the precedent of having to do EVERYTHING, EXACTLY how the real world does really kills the overall RP vibe. Another thing we try to instill in engineers is balancing QUALITY and SPEED. Meaning don't hold everything up so you can do super ultra elitist paragraph /me's. This falls into the whole streamline idea. Am I saying slack off? No of course not. 

From what I understand, entry level medics are pretty much just bandaid whores. At least that's what i've gathered off conversations. And any chance of promotion only comes at spending hours on hours reading technical documents about trauma medics in the real world. I frankly find it very archaic that almost 300 years in the future, we have medics still doing hand held stitching, or something of that sort. Whatever happened to sticking people into autodocs, or bio tanks. It's shown in the movie to be done for a Private (Rico), so everyone would have access to so. I understand that it's done to give RP and drag away from essentially "Oh, I respawned, I'm magically healed now", but most players already do that as it is. That being said, any competent RPer should be able to make some halfway decent RP from maintaining and monitoring the autodocs, or checking on patients in bio tanks. Medics need to take some creative liberty while on events and either figure out some scifi type combat trauma materials to quickly at least delay casualties. 

Overall what im saying is a more drug out version of what Jester just said. The training and RPing within the faction needs to be more streamlined, balancing quality with speed, and making ADVANCED, or more TECHNICAL training optional, which is rewarded with promotions, which can also be handled out with enough tenure.

• Like 2

All I ask, and I am deadly serious about this, is that medics hand out lollipops again. Made the MI feel good, bring the love back.

• Like 1

All I can say from what I noticed when I left, and this might not be the case but it was a bigger hindrance than it should have been, is proper training. Rev was really good at positively spurring people and helping them learn at their own rate, but he was only one guy and did better in one on one training sessions. That being said, I'm sure there's some system that could be devised and some of the ideas from above seem pretty good.

gotta agree with dan but this doesnt have to do much with the lead, more how the faction plays out

it's 2298 and we're still using medical techniques on the field from the 2010's

pretty sure that by now we would have made some advances other than just the biogel tank, but, again, i don't know too much about it. the universe of sstrp is pretty much a blank book when it comes this type of stuff; it's up to us to fill it in

quality is hard to come by for medics

a lot of people are here for "fun", but in the end dont bother learning anything if you dont add some form of necessity of learning - like the weight of quality

that's where the meme of "apply lidocaine to the fucking forehead" came from

unlike every other faction, there's an actual weight behind what medics do. as a medic, if you apply the wrong medicine for the type of injury, people die - it's not just a HE/HEAT/HEDP momentum

so if anything should be streamlined, it's the medicines. PM's work just fine for questions newbie medics have, but the retaining of knowledge in the medical field is substantially higher than everything else atm

dumb everything down and i doubt you'll have troubles; dex liked his realism, and wanted proper treatments - so people had some knowledge to take away from being a medic. (i learned a lot from him, thanks dex, even though you're banned and will never see this :D)

but tl;dr

dumb medicines down

make the learning curve less of an angle, and more of a curve

• Like 2

as has been already said before, dumb it down a bit and make it easier to learn. I might get involved with medical again if I don't have to be able to also be a doctor IRL

Just to throw another thing in the ring. Medical if I remember correctly  lacks their own "Personal swep" as such. Marauders have Suits and a minigun,  Engineers have Nuke launchers and the ability to summon fortifications.  Currently (again from what I remember, it might've changed since Omega) the medical division only has the power of /me heals. This I'd say also has an element of restricting medical as when given the option, even if it's somewhat OOC, it still gives them more variety.

I wouldn't say go back to the older med-kit weapon as in the current storyline, we wouldn't really have access to near-unlimited healing. But a weapon which has a limit on how much healing it could do might work, so if there's only 1 medic on and say, the limit was 200hp,  they would have to decide if to either heal 2 people and a bit back up to full, or split it between 10 people for 20 each, etc. 

Other than that, training and making it easier for players as already stated would be near vital, as spending six weeks to learn something which may occur is just going to burn them out in the end.

Medical needs to be accessible. 

That's the bottom line. As it currently sits, 3Spc feels like they can't push forward because thier medical knowledge is lacking OOCly. That 3Spc is likely a 15 year old kid with no knowledge other than visits to the doctor's office. 

Lower things to an easy to understand and RP level. Dex wrote a pretty good guide on how to RP fixing people. It's in the Medic club. I use that when I'm on my medic. 

2 hours ago, HazyDay said:

Medical needs to be accessible. 

That's the bottom line. As it currently sits, 3Spc feels like they can't push forward because thier medical knowledge is lacking OOCly. That 3Spc is likely a 15 year old kid with no knowledge other than visits to the doctor's office. 

Lower things to an easy to understand and RP level. Dex wrote a pretty good guide on how to RP fixing people. It's in the Medic club. I use that when I'm on my medic. 

rated agree

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I'm incredibly appreciative to the publicity this post has gotten so far. As a result of the past roughly 24 hours, I've decided to do the following;

I. Surgical ability will be moved from sspc down to 2spc so long as the character in question receives a qualification.

II. Medical will be dumbing down the use of advanced terminology for the sake of being user friendly. CLS alone used to be a little jarring. Some fundamental necessities will remain.

III. I plan to begin promoting based on activity and willingness to participate. This is subject to change, but will hopefully help bring back older members or people who play medics as secondary chars.

• physicals/checkups
  • routine inoculations on account of all the weird places the MI go
  • sti testing/awareness materials/powerpoints
  • just start fucking pumping weird diseases through the vents and let god sort it out
  • hot orderlies
On 1/4/2018 at 6:58 PM, ryu said:

it's 2298 and we're still using medical techniques on the field from the 2010's

pretty sure that by now we would have made some advances other than just the biogel tank, but, again, i don't know too much about it. the universe of sstrp is pretty much a blank book when it comes this type of stuff; it's up to us to fill it in

this, but a balance definitely needs to be considered to avoid troopers that are literally walking scar tissue who routinely make mistakes that would cause them discharge-tier injury/death getting lolfixed by the medical marvels of 2298. part of the problem lies in that there's a bunch of weirdos who don't want to rp the long term effects (ie, physical therapy, permanent, irreversible damage) and would rather rp superheroes who rebound from gsw's and lacerations on the reg like it's no big deal. there needs to be a balance.

i'd advise maybe peeking at the rpg, as they had some shit about medical equipment/techniques/prosthetics and whatnot that were pretty fleshed out. some of it was kind of out there to me, and i personally think it should be looked over with a fine-toothed comb

on a tangent  regarding 'the tank' in

Starship Troopers (1997) (Dir. Paul Verhoeven) i dont think it was the fluid itself that did the major work to save johnny, it was just a robutt that was regenerating his leg and shit. some nerd even uploaded the scene to youtube so you can see i'm not retarded 

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Orwell said:

. there needs to be a balance.

yeh obviously, what i mean by stuff like this is the stuff thatwould make the life of a combat medic easier on the field. for example, in star trek, which is generally around the same time, they have a tool that resets broken bones and automatically and heals them in the process

sounds pretty overpowered but it would be cool to be that kind of stuff in general

If I am actually gonna be serious, you might think about getting a therapist. We fight giant bugs, traitors, robo-cyborg things, and now each other. We watch troopers get bisected right in front of, limbs are blown off, heads popped, people bleed it. All that is going to leave scars, that, if unchecked, can lead to problems. It wouldn't be like  full in-depth therapy thing, but a regular mental check up, to make sure if people are stable. Good chance for RP and it could be enjoyable.

Back when Reverend was medical lead I never advanced past 3spc. and I can't tell if it was because I died too much or my med rp just wasn't good enough. Then I sorta went into a bored state doing the same shit over again with different circumstances and just left before coming back and learning I was no longer part of medical. This may or may not be the cycle of most medics but it's my input.

21 minutes ago, Kraegus said:

If I am actually gonna be serious, you might think about getting a therapist. We fight giant bugs, traitors, robo-cyborg things, and now each other. We watch troopers get bisected right in front of, limbs are blown off, heads popped, people bleed it. All that is going to leave scars, that, if unchecked, can lead to problems. It wouldn't be like  full in-depth therapy thing, but a regular mental check up, to make sure if people are stable. Good chance for RP and it could be enjoyable.

A few players have already tried this.

In the end they were either mocked for it, only had a couple of the usual-suspect patients, or the few 'issues' which were IC'ly raised through therapy turned into police-checks and officer involvement because people got overzealous with Chinese whispers.

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who'll want to try it again.

58 minutes ago, TheCursedJester said:

A few players have already tried this.

In the end they were either mocked for it, only had a couple of the usual-suspect patients, or the few 'issues' which were IC'ly raised through therapy turned into police-checks and officer involvement because people got overzealous with Chinese whispers.

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who'll want to try it again.

That sucks