Soto's Paintings

Orwell

• Executive Administrator

z6vm81E.png

WO. Trey Winters

3/8/97

Notes: Winters seems like an average guy, really. Kind of like a salty trooper whose done and seen a lot, or something. I tried to make him look happier, and less shlubby, but I don't think it turned out right. Don't know what I should do with this copy. 

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

3sbjKRO.png

MSgt. Eleanor Tuuli

3/8/97

Notes: Felt like going abstract with this one. I occasionally see her and other purple-hats wandering around the ship. Their thoughts, their ponderings.. it excites me!

• Creative 2
  • Optimistic 1

PxZ8TMx.png

'Turquoise Gas'

4/8/97

Notes: We passed by this gas giant we didn't know the name of, and I thought it looked pretty cool. How many of the original masters would've killed for the opportunity to see heavenly bodies like this from this vantage? Had to do them justice, take advantage of what I've got.

YNPEGl2.png

My View

6/8/97

Notes: Figures I'd get wounded on one of my first drops with the 112th. I was screaming and hollering in that blizzard. Bugs fight just as fiercely in a blizzard as they do in the desert; motherfuckers certainly are much more durable than us. One talon through the foot and I'm out of commission.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

0AwMESL.png

タコ様

7/8/97

Notes: Not pictured: his biotechs. I've got no idea how long he's been in this business, but I suspect it's a while. I feel as though we share similar struggles because of our hairstyle choices.

• Funny 1
  • Optimistic 1
  • 2 weeks later...

QAMYKgm.png

Sgt. Travis Young

25/8/97

Notes: I guess word is getting around that I can paint, so I've been getting approached lately for portraits, including by one of my sergeants. I must've not realized it, but this guy's pretty damn tall when you're standing right next to him. He's got that soldier's physique, too. Reminds me of the shredded dudes that they would bring in for that figure drawing course I took a couple summers ago back home. Young seems like a cool guy, hopefully he'll enjoy the finished product.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
  • 3 weeks later...

76p9DkM.png

R & R, September 2297

10/9/2297

This is my first painting after the Audie Murphy was destroyed. Had to wait for replacements to be shipped out after I ordered everything I needed. R & R was well needed, to say the least. Things've been pretty tense lately since we discovered the Neons. There's been a lot of changes, but the same old insanity to the whole scheme is still there. Even in the face of something like them, we'll still find ways to kill each other instead of them. Castillo's come under attack by bugs, and I've heard that things were really bad for the MI stationed in Rico. Often times I find myself worrying about my friends and family in Ottokar. I feel a strange humbling, slightly horrifying sensation for living through such strange and surreal times. In times like these I'm keeping my Karma in check, and doing my Dhyana. Hydroponics accommodates well for me. I end up spending a lot of time down there, trying to clear my head. I'm still waiting on the rest of my brushes and paints to come in.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

28/10/97

Today, I ship off to Sanctuary so I can receive Biotech surgery for my missing legs. They'll fix the nerve damage in my spine, and make it so I can walk again. I'm uncertain about what the future holds. My time with the 112th was one of intrigue, and constant action. It was pretty crazy, but I was crazier to think I'd leave unscathed. All things considered, I suppose I should count myself lucky I'm not dead. My indefinite term of service in combat is cut short; but at least I got the citizenship that I was after. Was it worth the extensive and irreparable damage? It's too early to tell. They say I'm going to be placed in a field that'll be more suited to my predicament. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm waiting on my letters to reach home so my folks aren't scared to death when I walk through the door with my face looking the way it does. Perhaps I should've listened to my friends and family, and been less hard-headed. Again, too early to tell.

The Lieutenant gave me a casette tape she found as a parting gift. Dahlstrom said he might send me some things my way, too. I don't want it too often, though. It would just end up reminding me of what I'm missing. These past few days have hit like a freight train. I've been alone with thoughts I've never had before, but I know I've got to keep moving forward. It's all I can do, at this point. Things will be better after Sanctuary. They've got to be.

TffQBI9.png

• 1 month later...

UzJ6Mmh.png

Dreyfus Lowlands

4/12/97

It's been a while since I've put something on a canvas. I've become busier than I thought I'd be.

They threw a few positions at me at Sanctuary, but it was settled that I'd be heading back to a recruitment office back on Castillo, in some town I'd never heard of. It's pretty far from my folks. They'll be seeing me for the first time on Christmas. 

I don't know how to feel about it. When I spoke with them on the phone I didn't break into specifics about how bad it was. I'll have to wait and see.

Things are looking up, though. One of the recruitment guys pulled me aside and told me about a veterans hall nearby. I popped my head in when I got off one day, and stopped by.

I've become familiar with a lot of the guys there. Salty guys, a lot of them locals, served all over the galaxy and stuff. Some of them look worse than me. It kind of reminds me of the bar on the Grant. Sometimes, we go on camping trips in the mountains. It's kind of like being back in the MI for a day or two. I enjoy their company a lot. They're some of the only guys I can find myself easing up around nowadays.

My friends paid me a visit a few weeks ago. I kind of had a falling out with them once I enlisted, and it didn't go well when they showed up. I tried to block the thoughts from my head, but when we got into it I started to feel like real shit. 

I've been travelling around, roaming the planet, contemplating my future direction.

For now, I'm content to go with the flow.

• Like 5
  • Orwell locked and unlocked this topic