Status Effects issued by medical?

El Excellente

So I've had this idea the other day on how to potentially involve the medical faction into more RP onboard the Grant (aside from the usual "uve been hurt during a mission you have to stay in the medbay" and the medbay evolving into a hangout spot for people)

I've gotten this idea as sort of side-effect when I was pondering about a potential upcoming campaign, and I think this could be interesting to look into.

While there is no rules or anything written about it (and technically PKs and injuries are at the discretion ("mercy") of the mission runner), it is 'common law' for people to roll upon death.

Based upon this, we've developed some kind of system that differs for every mission, but it's usually something along the lines of "Roll below 20 and you're CK'd". This is course based on bad luck or, if the treshhold is set too low, simply impossible (if you have to roll below 5, how high are the chances?). Having a campaign (ie. a prolonged series of combat) in mind, my main concern was that this didn't take any previous action into account.

Example: Corporal A. has been shot multiple times throughout the campaign but remains lucky with his rolls as he keeps having the upper hand while Private B might just have a bad piece of lag, gets shot and has one really unlucky roll.

Basically, the roll bonus doesn't factor in your average constitution, which I think is something we could do (atleast try it for a campaign/questline or two).

Since the medics respond to all kinds of wounds, it would be only logical for them to assess the combat strength of this Trooper. You've received 2 GSWs to the torso which knocked the wind out of you? Great, you remain slow to catch your breath for the rest of your OP - if you get shot again, you suffer a -5 penalty on your roll.

If said person now gets shot and rolls a 25 (where 20 is the treshhold), this person gets to suffer severely.

What's the function of this?

A logical and consequent wounding system. Let's be real here, it's easy to shrug off virtual wounds, ignore them or, in dubio pro reo: simply not know how to roleplay a wound properly. If I've been shot in the leg and a medic tells me you're good to go, hell i'd get right back into combat.

However, if said medic told me "oh but you get a -10 because theres a bullet in your leg", i'd probably tread with caution now because the chance to be severely injured has just been increased significantly.

Secondly, it gives medics something to do imo. These status effects can be logged/tracked, and some status effects could require surgery to be lifted - which means that Troopers would actively walk towards the medbay to have their shit fixed.

This can of course be expanded at will, such as gaining a 'debuff' specifically for agility stuff (having been shot in the leg) or impaired vision et cetera. Hell, you could even add diseases into the mix, all at the mercy of medical staff; smoking, consuming lots of alcohol etc bla bla.

However, these would not be PvP roll bonuses as denoted by the  pvp rolls thread; these are purely medical rolls!

What's the flipside?

On the other hand, medical could also give you positive roll buffs. I think it's a shame none of us (atleast I never really) roleplay with the medics. If we have some kind of buff/debuff system, we could go to the medics for regular checkups or vaccinations. If we're checked up regularly, we can say that our Trooper has a great constitution - so if you do lots of roleplay in the medical bay, (atleast I) would be willing to be more merciful with saving throws on CKs/injuries, with a +10 roll bonus or similar.

Medics would simply have more to do. Sure, logging stuff is tedious and annoying - but it can be easily done with a nice table. If you're wasting 10 minutes of your life on patching someone up who is AFK anyway, why not just go ahead and log it which takes about 30 seconds (bear in mind you can literally use the steam browser to access the forums/wiki) The additional RP coming in for 'positive buffs' is something to look at. Medics could expand their program and go from checkups which are a streak of /mes for the medics to actual physical exams, such as letting the troopers run on the treadmill et cetera.

• Like 4

Only question I have about it is who's going to keep track of all the chars wounds durinf the events. Sure, you can say the player will. But WILL they do it faithfully? Who knows. Although I like the idea it seems like it will be kinda tedious to do when running an event, or even a campaign for that matter if you need to ask Sgt. Jimmy to roll with a -8 roll bonus cause u ran more than 2 feet. Otherwise its a decent idea.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lalatina said:

Only question I have about it is who's going to keep track of all the chars wounds durinf the events. Sure, you can say the player will. But WILL they do it faithfully? Who knows. Although I like the idea it seems like it will be kinda tedious to do when running an event, or even a campaign for that matter if you need to ask Sgt. Jimmy to roll with a -8 roll bonus cause u ran more than 2 feet. Otherwise its a decent idea.

we'll have dedicated medic snitches  :ph34r:

snitches do stitches

10 hours ago, El Excellente said:

On the other hand, medical could also give you positive roll buffs. I think it's a shame none of us (atleast I never really) roleplay with the medics. If we have some kind of buff/debuff system, we could go to the medics for regular checkups

I tried to introduce this, but I was the only one that really drove it forward for a while - If interested I'm more than willing to link the sheets I used for information tracking.

• 3 weeks later...