Idea: Martial Arts

HoneyElk

So this is just something I’ve been having on my mind. I’ve heard talk of it server-wise, but can’t seem to find any publications of it on the server, and thought it could use some expending upon. 

So, in my real world experience, rank in the military isn’t necessarily tied to your experience in martial arts prowess. I’ve met staff sergeants who remain grey belts, and I know corporals who are already working on their blacks. Despite this, I don’t necessarily disagree with the current roll system regarding close combat, however, I also believe amendments could be made to encourage both ship based role play, as well as a sense of personal development.

Hence forth, I am suggesting the introduction of the Mobile Infantry Martial Arts Program, or simply MIMAP. Heavily inspired (you mean ripped?) from the USMC’s martial arts program, MIMAP would cover a variety of armed and unarmed martial arts, ranging from knife and rifle techniques, joint manipulation, and good old pugilism. 

Bonuses to close combat rolls would be granted on a belt based system. These would not stack with rank-based rolls, with the later holding directive over belt-based rolls (ex: a PFC holding Grey Belt is granted a roll bonus of +15, rather than the typical +10. Once reaching the rank of LCpl, this bonus remains +15, and, upon reaching Cpl, will follow the typical +20, assuming they haven’t chosen to belt up). 

I believe this system can hold some advantages, in terms of both realism and roleplay opportunities. Having a tangible benefit can encourage players to ‘PT’ or train in their off time in pursuit of a belt, while also providing NCOs who opt in as instructors with the opportunity to run martial arts courses. 

This is simply a concept system, and I’m entirely open to discussion. 

Or the idea sucks and I’m gay 
  • Optimistic 1

I've already brought this up both ICly and OOCly, and it has been approved on both fronts. I'm working with Franco on developing the roll system, but it is currently at around +5 - +15. The reason it hasn't been publicized is because I've been trying to turn a 273 page USMC regulation PDF into a smaller, more user-friendly set of information. Alongside finals and other school/work related tasks. I'll have it up by the new year.

Just now, Silent said:

I've already brought this up both ICly and OOCly, and it has been approved on both fronts. I'm working with Franco on developing the roll system, but it is currently at around +5 - +15. The reason it hasn't been publicized is because I've been trying to turn a 273 page UMSC regulation PDF into a smaller, more user-friendly set of information. 

Oh, well, sick. If you need any help, I’m open. Currently on a green belt course myself. 

It doesn’t seem like that complicated of task, imo. I’m not sure how Silent is going to run it, seeing as he’s the one with Staff approval, but it could be a simple system of:

-Allow trusted players to assume position as instructors

-Utilize a shared doc or spreadsheet to record training sessions

-Once a player meets the assigned requisites, allot them the bonus, and log it. We use the same system for Psychics, after all

It’s a simple enough system to both grant a sense of progression to layers beyond promotions, while also encouraging a further amount of interaction between NCOs (Or whoever is assigned as Instructor) and their peers. 

My plan was similar. If I saw/knew someone was knowledgeable, and decent enough at roleplay to teach others, I'd toss them an instructor position. Training sessions will be scheduled instead of just random, unless something comes up (it is flexible). There will be a sheet documenting the levels of people as well as the techniques they were trained up to (in sections as individual would be too long). And players will be given bonuses as they progress, depending on if what Franco gave me changes, they'll be going up by small incremental amounts with the 'stripe' levels.

It'll improve overall roleplay ability, and add some more layers to sparing. [Plus it makes someone happy when they get a cool little stripe thing that really means nothing, but at the same time means something.]

i mean (lil bit off topic) i feel like grappleing is the only real useful technique as realisticly when fighitng someone ur most likely going to end up on the ground. especially if the setting is like ruins or something. I also feel that the servers CQC is a lil' bit too clean if that makes sense. Like realisticly ur not going to square up to a guy in a boxing formation if he has a gun. Like say someone comes out of the door next to u. IRL the best thing to do wowuld probably be to grapple him instead of "Square up nigga!" Just my thoughts on some CQC shit 

2 hours ago, Arrow said:

i mean (lil bit off topic) i feel like grappleing is the only real useful technique as realisticly when fighitng someone ur most likely going to end up on the ground. especially if the setting is like ruins or something. I also feel that the servers CQC is a lil' bit too clean if that makes sense. Like realisticly ur not going to square up to a guy in a boxing formation if he has a gun. Like say someone comes out of the door next to u. IRL the best thing to do wowuld probably be to grapple him instead of "Square up nigga!" Just my thoughts on some CQC shit 

I'm pretty sure grappling is the last thing you wanna be focusing on.

Some guy walks out of a doorway, last thing you're gonna do is break out the batista bomb. First thing you'll probably do is shoot him, then try and stab him, then maybe kick out some kneecaps, then finally if all else fails you *might* grapple the fuck but it's a real bad idea in any combat situation. 

Drunk person and you're a bouncer? Sure grapple that shit. 

Dunno who or how many people are around with guns? You're not gonna go and tombstone the man with the machete. 

So funnily enough, trying to box a dude is gonna work out better than doing some WWE shit. 

ALL THIS MARTIAL ARTS TALK IS USELESS

YOU ALREADY GOT MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING IN BASIC

REMEMBER IN THE MOVIE AND THE BOOK WHEN ZIM WOOPS SOME ASS?

THATS WHAT YOU GET IN BASIC

NOT ONLY THAT, THE ONLY THINGS YOU CAN FIGHT WITH YOUR HANDS IS OTHER PEOPLE

BUGS'LL CUT THROUGH A MARAUDER

PROGGIES CAN MULCH YOU

SKINNIES have claws or something and their suits probably give them more strength im not too sure skinnies are mysterious so [redacted] can make shit up on the spot for their events

also they are psychic

and people?  its likely seps dont have as much training as you so you already have +50 against them

and even if they are sanctuary dogs, who's to say that other guy isnt also a 7th level blackbelt of bi-shi-doa

all this is an excuse to get more roll bonuses cuz muh sparring muh char is badass

im the fuckin cleric of gun kata bitch dont FUCK with me

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

As for your first point, US marines are also taught basic hand to hand in boot camp, but there is limited time to turn someone into a proficient war fighter, and as such, even less time to train on harder skills. 

The hand-to-hand is mostly for seps and other human targets. And as stated earlier, this is mainly a roleplay endeavor to give people some extra progression and off-duty things to do.

5 minutes ago, yahtz said:

ALL THIS MARTIAL ARTS TALK IS USELESS

YOU ALREADY GOT MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING IN BASIC

REMEMBER IN THE MOVIE AND THE BOOK WHEN ZIM WOOPS SOME ASS?

THATS WHAT YOU GET IN BASIC

NOT ONLY THAT, THE ONLY THINGS YOU CAN FIGHT WITH YOUR HANDS IS OTHER PEOPLE

BUGS'LL CUT THROUGH A MARAUDER

PROGGIES CAN MULCH YOU

SKINNIES have claws or something and their suits probably give them more strength im not too sure skinnies are mysterious so [redacted] can make shit up on the spot for their events

also they are psychic

and people?  its likely seps dont have as much training as you so you already have +50 against them

and even if they are sanctuary dogs, who's to say that other guy isnt also a 7th level blackbelt of bi-shi-doa

all this is an excuse to get more roll bonuses cuz muh sparring muh char is badass

im the fuckin cleric of gun kata bitch dont FUCK with me

I was wondering who was gonna point out the obvious. 

Didn't expect it to be fucking Remnar

3 minutes ago, Silent said:

As for your first point, US marines are also taught basic hand to hand in boot camp, but there is limited time to turn someone into a proficient war fighter, and as such, even less time to train on harder skills. 

The hand-to-hand is mostly for seps and other human targets. And as stated earlier, this is mainly a roleplay endeavor to give people some extra progression and off-duty things to do.

im not sure you fucking understand

i havent even watched the movie but ive read the book

they get their asses trained out

they fuckin die in training

hell they dont even get power armor till like the last 1/4th of it

sure its .net sst but still

it aint easy shit u feel me homie

9 minutes ago, yahtz said:

im not sure you fucking understand

i havent even watched the movie but ive read the book

they get their asses trained out

they fuckin die in training

hell they dont even get power armor till like the last 1/4th of it

sure its .net sst but still

it aint easy shit u feel me homie

martial arts is a hard thing to retain if you don’t consistently do it. Idk how long basic training is the SST-verse (I’m leaning towards films rather than book, seeing as that’s our primary inspiration), but, speaking from my person experience, between marksmanship, combat conditioning, military customs and courtesies, military tactics, combat care, history, equipment training, etc, it’s not really feasible for every boot to leave basic being a martial arts expert. hell I’ve been involved in various disciplines for over half a decade and I can still get fucked up. 

plus this is an opt-in program, just like the real world inflicted MCMAP, so, it’s not like we’re forcing people to participate. Just a sort of encouragement for off-drop RP, beyond spending 92% of the time in the bar

3 hours ago, Arrow said:

MCMAP is essential a mixed martial art. our training consists of how to use your rifle in close combat, a knife, a ‘weapon of opportunity’ (ie an object you can find around you), your fists, grappling, etc. it’s pretty much beat into your head that using your fists is a last ditch effort.