War Movies!

Jun Nagase

Une list of koolaids war movies!

All of these feature english subtitles and were meant for viewing by english audiences, despite some of their foreign productions.

Tuntematon Solitas

(The Unknown Soldier) 2017

Finnish movie about Finnish infantry between 1941-1944, about 2.5hrs long and pretty good.

I'd say comparable to a finnish movie version of Band of Brothers. Also in quality and enjoyability.

Under Sandet

(Land of Mine) 2015

Danish movie (primarily in German, understandably) about post-war Denmark's use of German POWs to clear the ~2million mines placed along the Danish west coast.

Surprisingly gripping for what the subject theme really is. Really good movie IMO. May be available for free on Netflix depending on region

Fury

(Fury) 2014

While not at all accurate to reality at least in terms of the actual combat, Fury still does work well as an action-packed WW2 tank film.

(Even the short american 75mm would be able to penetrate the front of a Tiger if it's not angled and at close range, let alone a 76mm)

Enemy at the Gates

(Enemy at the Gates) 2001

This movie follows a Soviet sniper primarily in Stalingrad as he learns to become a legendary sniper. A classic to many.

Letters from Iwo Jima

(Letters from Iwo Jima) 2006

This movie follows the Japanese side of the battle for Iwo Jima. A not often depicted side of the war, Letters from Iwo Jima aims to show the audience what it might've been like to be on the Japanese side of the war for once. It's a companion piece to Flags of our Fathers.

Flags of our Fathers

(Flags of our Fathers) 2006

This is the companion piece of Letters from Iwo Jima, showing the American side of the same battle for Iwo Jima. One of the most brutal battles that were to take place during the second world war.

Eine list of naisu war series!

Band of Brothers (2001)

A well known classic, seen by most and earned its spot as a true classic. A must, in my book.

Available on HBO

The Pacific (2010)

The Pacific is the lesser known brother to Band of Brothers, taking place in the Pacific and following a similar theme to Band of Brothers.

This series does well to show the contrast between the European and the Pacific theatres of war.(If you've seen BoB) While you were statistically more likely to return from the Pacific theatre, you  were less likely to return as yourself.

Available on HBO

pls add your own in similar format if chu want

2 minutes ago, Jun Nagase said:

brother

How the fuck did you legitimately miss We Were Soldiers, but add Enemy at the Gates which is debatebly pure fiction? 

Where's Platoon? Apocalypse Now? Generation Kill? American Sniper? Das Boot? U-571? Black Hawk Down? Hurtlocker? Beneath Hill 60? Dambusters? Bridge on the River Kwai? Sands of Iwo Jima? Where Eagles Dare? Saving Private Ryan? Stalingrad? Thin Red Line? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

How the fuck did you legitimately miss We Were Soldiers, but add Enemy at the Gates which is debatebly pure fiction? 

Where's Platoon? Apocalypse Now? Generation Kill? American Sniper? Das Boot? U-571? Black Hawk Down? Hurtlocker? Beneath Hill 60? Dambusters? Bridge on the River Kwai? Sands of Iwo Jima? Where Eagles Dare? Saving Private Ryan? Stalingrad? Thin Red Line? 

WHERE'S RED TAILS?! MEMPHIS BELLE?!

Northern Limit Line, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Generation War, Midway, Into the White, and Jarhead are all fine pieces of media excluded from both lists.

Oh, don't forget the Jack Ryan series; The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and The Sum of All Fears.

If you're into documentaries, Restrepo is a fantastic watch.

Just now, Whiplash said:

Northern Limit Line, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Generation War, Midway, Into the White, and Jarhead are all fine pieces of media excluded from both lists.

Oh, don't forget the Jack Ryan series; The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and The Sum of All Fears.

I legit forgot Jarhead and Midway, Tora is a solid film and I think is what made Michael Bay do his shitstorm based on Pearl Harbour, was debating throwing in Red October and Sum of All Fears but didn't since Tom Clancy stuff is a bit hit or miss.

10 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

I legit forgot Jarhead and Midway, Tora is a solid film and I think is what made Michael Bay do his shitstorm based on Pearl Harbour, was debating throwing in Red October and Sum of All Fears but didn't since Tom Clancy stuff is a bit hit or miss.

I'd agree that Tom Clancy can be hit or miss, but it's undeniable that although his works are that of fiction - they are scarily accurate to real procedures and events. I understand that a lot of people don't like the slower paced movies when they're looking for a war flick, but, Tom Clancy's work is still undeniably masterpieces of military fiction. It's also why I only named the good movies from the Jack Ryan series that aren't watered down action movies under the guise of a larger title.

To stay on the subject of war movies, I'm going to also name a few more good flicks here instead of editing my last post; Zero Dark Thirty, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, Tears of the Sun, Bravo Two Zero, and Ninth Company. I know it isn't a war movie, but I'd also strongly recommend The Killing Fields to anybody interested in the politics of Southern Asia during the events of the Vietnam War, as it goes quite in depth with one of the most violent regimes in the world; the Khmer Rouge.

• 3 weeks later...