New dropship?

Jun Nagase

+1? 

Yes, it's not starship troopers, but you can also just reskin that as a DR-8 and begin to use dropships as gunboats. . . 

EDIT: Or we could just say the Office of Fleet Intelligence designed a new ship y'know. Developing a copter chopter was pretty high on Venk's to do list. 

I do think having something that can move troopers but also shoot shit for them is a good alternative to boats for transport and tacs for cas, a gunship would be better at cas than a jet fighter, like the russian Hind or the american UH-1. Plus a gunship would be a bit more agile than a boat but not as fast as a tac per say, I think its a good mid ground for the MI and may also help bring some more activity to fleet for gunship pilots for drops

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, nikb said:

I do think having something that can move troopers but also shoot shit for them is a good alternative to boats for transport and tacs for cas, a gunship would be better at cas than a jet fighter, like the russian Hind or the american UH-1. Plus a gunship would be a bit more agile than a boat but not as fast as a tac per say, I think its a good mid ground for the MI and may also help bring some more activity to fleet for gunship pilots for drops

Dropships have weapons. The fighters are also VTOL, so they can act as gunships. Both are stupid fast.

2 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

Dropships have weapons. The fighters are also VTOL, so they can act as gunships. Both are stupid fast.

The fighters are not VTOL, that's incorrect.

Dropships have weapons but our vehicles are currently insufficient. You could reskin this as a Skyhook. Skyhooks are not stupid fast, they're just fast. 

2 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

But dropships are fucking massive and when do you ever see /events where a dropship guns down seppies or boogs, never really

After playing around with them I can also confirm they're very easy to control, and work extremely well. How they work on the server is a different issue, but I'm interested to see how that could be done. It only requires two mods, which could of course be cut down to only what we need. They can easily VTOL and fly around providing CAS as well as transport on the map, which I think would be pretty 

ebic

3 minutes ago, Fitz said:

After playing around with them I can also confirm they're very easy to control, and work extremely well. How they work on the server is a different issue, but I'm interested to see how that could be done. It only requires two mods, which could of course be cut down to only what we need. They can easily VTOL and fly around providing CAS as well as transport on the map, which I think would be pretty 

ebic

especially ebic

1 hour ago, Fitz said:

The fighters are not VTOL, that's incorrect.

Dropships have weapons but our vehicles are currently insufficient. You could reskin this as a Skyhook. Skyhooks are not stupid fast, they're just fast. 

Who decided to make the fighters NOT VTOL? They used to be, because space.

1 hour ago, nikb said:

But dropships are fucking massive and when do you ever see /events where a dropship guns down seppies or boogs, never really

Never, because that's the job of TAC and MI. Fleet's entire purpose in SST is capital ships, air support in the form of bombers and transports and that's about it. In SSTRP it gets extended slightly with orbital bombardments.

24 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

That'd be either Rook or Xal, whoever it was that had control of Fleet on the old forums into the new before the thread purge during the current rework of fleet.

They were deemed VTOL since the dropships are VTOL.

That doesn't make much sense. I do not know how this:

latest?cb=20171210172525

could be VTOL, and even if it could be, why would it be? 

The Warthog isn't VTOL, that's what it's based on.

I'm almost certain you're remembering this wrong, maybe if you could explain it further it might make some sense. 

It's like saying the Osprey is VTOL, so the F-35 should be too.

We also might be thinking of different systems of VTOL, as in, the fighters can't hover in mid-air in combat like a helicopter, but the dropships can.

There's sort of a difference between a VTOL aircraft and an aircraft with VTOL, as confusing as that may sound.

2 hours ago, Rook said:

Yeah, that would be the chief concern. The server is already laggy as shit, something like this would probably make it shit itself. 

It's just trying to fix what isn't broken. We don't need more ships, TAC was enough imo. Asking admins to do another thing to their work load during events is a stretch aswell.

2 hours ago, Centrix said:

It's just trying to fix what isn't broken. We don't need more ships, TAC was enough imo. Asking admins to do another thing to their work load during events is a stretch aswell.

We've never implied that we would force GM's to include us in events. Please refer to: 

3 hours ago, Rook said:

Yeah, that would be the chief concern. The server is already laggy as shit, something like this would probably make it shit itself. 

Yeah that's the main concern with me too. If it lags then it's a no-go, but from what I can see it seems pretty simple so I have high hope. Again though, if it's super laggy it's not an option.