System for Sparring

Lilypad

So I was thinking, right. A lot of people on SST really enjoy doing spars in the cage. I know for a fact, that some people also RP for hours without a loser, because 1. People refuse to fucking lose. 2. People refuse to fucking lose.

With that, I propose an optional proper HP system, so that RPs can be efficient and people don't powergame out their ass. I say, we have a five HP system, so basically, you keep rolling until someone takes damage. One hit is one HP lost, until one person goes down to zero. With the last hit, depending on how high the roll is, it'll be a knock out or not. Say, 85+ is a knock out on the last hit.

Edit: Feel free to show your ways of RPing sparring as well. None of this is set in stone, and you're really free to use whatever you want to use.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've already been spreading around a sort of system for sparring which goes as follows. 

• If Person A rolls an attack that is 80 numbers higher than the defense of person B, Person B is knocked out. 
  • If Person A gets a Nat 100 on their attack roll, Person B is knocked out. UNLESS person B's defense roll is with in a twenty number radious of the total number. 

I.E: Person A rolls a Nat 100 + 20 = 120 while Person B rolls a defense roll of 86 + 20 resulting in a 106, person B is not knocked out, but they are stunned and can then take a free hit that CAN NOT be defended. 

In regards to how much damage a hit does scales to the difference between a defense and attack roll.

• If the attack roll is 23 damage but person B rolls 20, it's a weak hit, maybe even barely catching their shoulder. 
  • If attack roll is 99 but person B rolls a 95 on defense, again, the hit does not hit its intended mark, or they raise a hand to block and take the bulk of the damage. Much like if you used your forearm to block a kick in real life, that would still really hurt your arm. 

If, however, someone on the attack rolls a 87 but the defender rolls a 50, that attack hits and it hits them hard. 

This next part is optional, but is something I have done with Kris a few times. 

In regards to Roll bonuses, as a fight goes on and each person takes more hits and is hurt more, roll bonuses slowly degrade by 5. 

Example, start of the fight Bently would roll with a +50. However once he's taken a few good hits, he rolls with a +45, then +40 after taking more hits. 

This is to simulate your character slowly becoming weaker, not fighting in their peak condition. 

Many more rules can be added to spars and it's usually best to figure that out with your partner, but these are the rules I try to always go by during a spar. 

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1
  • Executive Administrator
18 hours ago, Lilypad said:

So I was thinking, right. A lot of people on SST really enjoy doing spars in the cage. I know for a fact, that some people also RP for hours without a loser, because 1. People refuse to fucking lose. 2. People refuse to fucking lose.

With that, I propose an optional proper HP system, so that RPs can be efficient and people don't powergame out their ass. I say, we have a five HP system, so basically, you keep rolling until someone takes damage. One hit is one HP lost, until one person goes down to zero. With the last hit, depending on how high the roll is, it'll be a knock out or not. Say, 85+ is a knock out on the last hit.

Edit: Feel free to show your ways of RPing sparring as well. None of this is set in stone, and you're really free to use whatever you want to use.

Roleplay with people who understand that their characters are not monoliths of strength and constitution, and who are aware of how taxing it can be to spar for three minutes.

Swallow your pride and understand that when you've taken 10+ blows to the head and you're bleeding all over the gym, you're not showing off how much of a badass you are, you're holding up the sparring ring for other people that actually want to roleplay. understand that when a private goes up against a sergeant, they will probably lose. You don't even need a roll bonus system, just use common fucking sense. A trooper who has been in the service for years is probably going to wipe the floor with a rookie. Playing to lose isn't so much 'trying to lose' it's more about you and the other person coming to a logical conclusion about who would most likely win so you don't have to stand there on the sidelines watching people roll for 10 minutes in what's supposed to be a 3-4 minute spar get dragged out until one gets put in the medbay. get into a fight in real life, see how long you can maintain your stamina and fight for three minutes straight.

5 minutes ago, El Excellente said:

Soo.... nobody?

maybe if we can get some people to cease their headassery we might get somewhere. we used to have people who understood the limits of the human body, even a human body conditioned by military rigors has its limits, and its part of your role as a trooper to understand that consequences will follow if you push yourself too far. it's part of a bigger problem concerning a lack of roleplay around fatigue. we sprint non-stop, we climb up sheer rockfaces, we zip zop all over a map and even when fatigue conditions are /ev'd, ie "The troopers would feel tired after marching for 5 hours straight" there is still a reluctance to acknowledge "wow i'm a human being and i get tired" because it might be inconvenient for the player

edit: worse yet, some think that BECAUSE they are military this means that they don't get to roleplay many of these conditions at all, which isn't the case

2 minutes ago, Orwell said:

maybe if we can get some people to cease their headassery we might get somewhere. we used to have people who understood the limits of the human body, even a human body conditioned by military rigors has its limits, and its part of your role as a trooper to understand that consequences will follow if you push yourself too far. it's part of a bigger problem concerning a lack of roleplay around fatigue. we sprint non-stop, we climb up sheer rockfaces, we zip zop all over a map and even when fatigue conditions are /ev'd, ie "The troopers would feel tired after marching for 5 hours straight" there is still a reluctance to acknowledge "wow i'm a human being and i get tired" because it might be inconvenient for the player

edit: worse yet, some think that BECAUSE they are military this means that they don't get to roleplay many of these conditions at all, which isn't the case

well u seem to be the only one having fun doing /me pants during missions

• Like 1
1 minute ago, El Excellente said:

well u seem to be the only one having fun doing /me pants during missions

:( i find feats more rewarding when there's some adversity to overcome, even if it means acknowledging you're tired/hot/cold/sick/chronic lumbago through a /me

1 hour ago, Orwell said:

Roleplay with people who understand that their characters are not monoliths of strength and constitution, and who are aware of how taxing it can be to spar for three minutes.

Swallow your pride and understand that when you've taken 10+ blows to the head and you're bleeding all over the gym, you're not showing off how much of a badass you are, you're holding up the sparring ring for other people that actually want to roleplay. understand that when a private goes up against a sergeant, they will probably lose. You don't even need a roll bonus system, just use common fucking sense. A trooper who has been in the service for years is probably going to wipe the floor with a rookie. Playing to lose isn't so much 'trying to lose' it's more about you and the other person coming to a logical conclusion about who would most likely win so you don't have to stand there on the sidelines watching people roll for 10 minutes in what's supposed to be a 3-4 minute spar get dragged out until one gets put in the medbay. get into a fight in real life, see how long you can maintain your stamina and fight for three minutes straight.

That's not my complaint though. I just wanted to put out a system for people who have these complaints. Sometimes, when we spar, we just spar for fun, and certain people who will not be named proceed to spar for like 30+ hits and refuse to go down.

• Like 1