[ARCHIVE] [2254] Excerpt from Diary of Hem Sherman

Orwell

• Executive Administrator

J͎͙̪͡ṷ̱̮̜̳͡n͚͚͇̬͟e̡̹̥̜̮ͅ ̨1̙̘̬̯͓7̖̤͍͚,͇̹̝̟̙ ̡͇̯̘2̞͙̟͚̲̦2͈̠͕̹̤̯5̹͚͓̥͚̤͘4̟̯̬
̷͖̙
̩̤͉͢G̹͈̩͘ͅo͍̘͙͙d̖ ͖͖͚̜̬k̡̭͔͓̮̯n̘͓̬̪̙̦͕͘o̤̠͇̲ͅw̵͔̘̼̗̫̥s̫͔͎̺ ̛̱̖̦h̦͝o̮̠̩̯̝̬̦͝w̸͇̥̖̘̦̦ ̻̼̲̳̤͎͈m̹̫͙͙͈̫̘u͉͓͈̳͍͈c̶̗̩̭̫̗̙h̲͈͉͠ ̺͓̬͍̣w͘e̜̲̣̹͈̬'̻͓̞͈̞̻̻̀v̰e̙͖͓̞̺̟ ̨̝ṱ̶̹͙̜̩͙̖o̸͇̰̹̝̗i̵͎͔͚̬l̖̱̰̠̥
ed here, carving the land and making it our own against great adversity. With my own two hands, I built the house in which I write this. With my own two hands, I cleared grazing land for my livestock in the lashing rain, and the beating sun. The elephant deer here are temperamental, and require many ranch hands to keep under control. A new brood has begun grazing near our grounds. Were it not pox, bandits, or the elements themselves, it is another challenge to the homesteaders. Out here, it is one test after the other. Jular goes to great lengths to remind me that things were much harder for his father's generation. He says we are soft. I still blame myself for poor Samantha. Laura is stiff-lipped as usual, but I can tell she's still racked with grief.

Despite this, I would not trade this land for anything of 'luxury' and 'convenience' within the confines of the Federation. They  don't understand that we don't want their laws. Despite everything this place can throw at you, it has something that none of the other colonies can offer. We don't want what they're selling. That's not how it works out here. Here, a man can truly be free. Away from the urban sprawl that brings out the worst in man.

August 2, 2254

Rainfall is scarce, and many crops have died in a blight. Subatai ticks don't seem to be deterred by our pesticides this season. Jular, Bill, and Ken have left to make the trip to Page River. The storms have been unpredictable lately.

September 20th, 2254

A group of Mormons have arrived. About twenty three, in total. They say they are pilgrims, looking for 'Kolob.' 

By Jordan's logic, they made it as far as they did unmolested, they deserve some hospitality. After all, we had harbored stranger folk. I still remember the Ashlanders, and their strange customs. What came of them, I'll never know. They want to stock up on supplies, and be on their way. Jular doesn't trust them.

September 27th, 2254

More Mormons. They are accumulating numbers, and I am unsure of when it is they will depart this place to continue their pilgrimage. Many have begun moving closer to town. They gather to worship, and they work hard. I spoke with one, about their departure. He told me that the road to 'Kolob' is long and winding, and that they have 'spiritual needs' that need to be addressed in the mean time. Jular and I have watched the way that they stare at our tavern and distilleries with scorn. With the passing of each day, more of these folk come to here, of all places. 

October 11th, 2254

There has been some tension between our group and our new Mormon friends. They have begun to set up more permanent lodgings, and have arrived in such droves that we are quickly finding ourselves to be a minority in a community of our own forging. I did not come this far away to be subjected to the impositions of another dogma. Laura is worried. They have begun to demonstrate outside of our tavern, demanding that we become dry. A fight broke out, and two men were left bloodied and bruised. Jular fears that this is only the beginning. 

October 24th, 2254

Problems with the Mormons have been raised in our meetings. Their transgressions continue to disrupt our way of life. Many are divided on the proper course of action to take. Matthews, instead of being his usual determined self, was conflicted. The only thing I knew for sure was that people were angry. Winter was coming, and there were suspicions about the Mormons hiding away, or worse, stealing from our food stocks. After much deliberation that lasted long into the night, we decided that the Mormons would be better off living in their own area, slightly removed from town proper.

November 2nd, 2254

Relocation was slow, and arduous. They have moved a good distance, but we can still see their lights at night. This hasn't meant that they've stopped coming to town to sell their wares. Nor does it mean that their zeal has been tempered. Matthews tells me in confidence that he fears we may have made things worse. Too early to tell. Laura misses Roku San. Roku San can spin into the sun, for all I care.

November 8th, 2254

A horrible thing happened. The Katz' girl, Lisa, was found in the river today. Lyle and David found her while they were patrolling their property over near the Mormon side of town. They think she had been playing, slipped and hit her head, and drowned. Family's devastated, as expected. Rumors have spread about a few Mormon boys being seen with her the night before. There is a bad taste in the air. I'm beginning to worry.

November 13th, 2254

The tavern caught fire in the night. It spread out of control, and jumped to the storehouses stocked with foodstuffs for the winter. When dawn came all that was left were smoldering cinders and smoke where months' worth of food used to be. Jular was furious. I was too. This will put us in grave danger when the ground freezes over. Matthews and myself went to make an emergency run to Page River. We were buying what little was left in the stores when the Mormons' homes were razed to the ground. I sit here, writing this the morning after. I know not where the Mormons have gone, now. The small temple they have built still stands from outside my window, but I don't know for how long that will last.

_____

Lyle has been shot, and we haven't seen Ken. We are unsure if they took prisoners. 

The fight broke out near the river. They had amassed a force of around a dozen. Was hard to see, and was very conf̶̲̩̥u̡͕̟s̫̜̮̺̱͓ḭ͢n͚̯̖͉̯g͏̞͖̤̫.̞͉̪ ́S̟͓̠̬̮͘ṷ̵̦̜̩̥r͇̩͍̞̠̘p̟͜r̟̣i̬ͅs̳̖ͅẹ̤̱̳͈͉̕d̩̣ ̝̰ͅw̪̬̟̰̰̬ͅe̟̝̬ ͓͖̕ͅd̮̬̻̤i͕͚̙̲̬̣ͅd̷̦̰͚̗̖͚ń̗̲̦̻̠͔̤'̢͖̥̟̯̯̘t̪͕ ̺ͅl̮̣̞̘̙͎̮͜o̞̘̖͖̙̟̠s̗͈̬̠̪̬̕e̞̺͞ ̼̲̖̰m̵̫or͚͢e̦̭͓͈͇͕ ̵͕t̙͇͚͉h̢̥̙̩ͅa̯͡n̨̫ ̧̤̘̱͍w͈̘͡e̶̳̦̯ ̤͢di̫̤͔͉̯͙d̥͡.͚