[ARCHIVE] [2298] Excerpt from Hart's Fever journal, by Dr. Ned Morton

Orwell

• Executive Administrator

[LOADING ENTRY]

[FILE CORRUPTED]

[RECOVERY IN PROGRESS]

Ọ̻͔̥͇̪̤͡f̶̕͏͙̥͓̣̭̼̳͖ ͎͔͓̥̣̮̀̕c̢̮͍̲̲̗ͅo̷̧͔̝̤͉u͏͕̥̠͓͇ŗ̸͎̯s̷̨̪͈̘̝̰̳ͅe͓͓͍͖̮͚͢͝ͅͅ,̡̖̞͔͍̘̤́ ̝̱̪͖̳͜͟n̢̳͚͖͎o̵̕ͅb̴͈̲̠͎͇̠̥o̪̦͜͠dy has been returning our calls to Abboud. Dr. Watson's at his wits end, trying to provide what little palliative care that we can. It seems like every day there's more patients, despite the lockdowns. According to one of our nurses, they're closing hospitals further south where the resurgence is worse. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as bad as the situation on Salk. I was doing my residency when the first outbreak happened back in '73. How long ago that was. This strain is much, much harder to pin down. Ivan laments to me that the second they manage to isolate it and synthesize a vaccine, it's already mutated. 

Outside, everything smells like ash and cinders. They're burning down the condemned blocks. They, being the few-remaining police detachments that are garbed up in protective suits, just like us. As the days drag on, we're seeing fewer and fewer of them. 

Every now and again, I accompany the interns to the station to retrieve supplies. The conditions have deteriorated at such a tremendous rate that I wouldn't have believed that such poverty and destitution existed if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. When we go, we pass unresponsive bodies on the street; some of them are patients that we were forced to turn loose. Sometimes, I even recognize their faces. They lay on the pavement, gasping for air as their lungs fill with fluid. They struggle to hold down food, and they slowly drift from place to place until they stop moving altogether. They mix with the vagrants, many of whom have been kicked out of their homes in an attempt to control the spread of the disease. This, in turn, makes it even easier for the virus to spread among the encampments that have sprung up. I've had patients die on me before, I'm no stranger to it- but it pains me to watch these people slowly suffer and being able to do nothing about it besides ease their pain. Sick mothers becoming estranged from their infant children, knowing that they won't be around to watch them grow into adulthood. It's soul-crushing.

The streets have become dangerous. Roaming gangs smash storefronts and loot the few businesses that haven't been closed down. Money has stopped flowing into the city. People know they are living on borrowed time, and are acting accordingly. I've been threatened on numerous occasions. The scars from the fighting last year are still present; many buildings have been left in different degrees of ruin. The Kaminski administration is tearing at the seams, and it shows in this place in particular. The government has issued a litany of restrictions on travel, and have prioritized screening and detection over palliative care. As a result, many places have been quartered off, and the people inside have been left to hang in the wind. Ivan fought on Salk, and I can tell he's got a lot of opinions about Kaminski and his cronies. Either way, our frustration is palpable. We've had to discipline some of our nurses for snapping at patients.

I can hear a pack of dogs outside, fighting over a corpse, probably. Tomorrow, we're meant to pick up our month's cut. Sometimes, we've received packages of supplies that have clearly been tampered with, with several articles missing. It's disheartening to see such behavior. Sometimes, I think of Sally and Fatimah, and that gets me through the long shifts. It's hard to keep in touch with your humanity when each day you're the one who has to break the news to a patient that they're not long for this world. I fear that the government will soon relocate us, and stop all operations here. It's been an uphill battle. Wherever we get moved to, we'll inevitably get moved somewhere else, and blockade everything. Burn down the condemned blocks, and start all over again someplace else. Sometimes, it reminds me of my time developing trauma equipment for the Mobile Infantry. There's only so many ways you can protect and mend a person who has been sliceḓ̷̛̻̖̼̝͝ ̷̪̝͚̺͓͎̰͙͟ͅų̸̡̹͎̮̗ͅp̶̡̖͍̼̗̯̱ ̶̥̹̣̯ͅḅ͈̖̦̕͘y̢̞̮̹̘̩̩ͅ ̭̼̤̲ą̩̲̩͉̲͕͝n̫͓͇ ̹͘͠͡Á̷̧͓̬̩̩r͈͚͉͇͈͝a̶̢̞̱̻̻c̝͙̳͙h̖̻͢͡n͞҉̴̤̻̯ͅi͙̪͘͘͡d̞̝̯̣͉̻͘͟.̱̣̩̞̭̭̗̮͝ͅ

[RECOVERY FAILED]