Last Neon Strongholds Dwindle on Terra, Reconstruction Looms

Orwell

• Executive Administrator

Rn7KLdSXjldsQmxyKDl28nGrAcVkCOk0yfjsMbnz

dystopia.jpg

The pulverized remains of the industrial super-centers surrounding the mouth of the Yangtze River. In nearby Zhenjiang, reconstruction efforts have been spearheaded from the ruins of Nanjing and Shanghai.

NANTONG, CHINA ‒ Today, crowds gather to view the unveiling of the recently restored Cao Gong Zhu Memorial Temple, originally built to commemorate a local hero who defended the city from Japanese pirates in 1557. Although humanity begins to approach a year of having reclaimed the Terran surface, the cultural scars continue to run deep. In addition to the massive urban complexes housing millions upon millions, the cultural footprint of the human race was often an unfortunate victim of extraterrestrial devastation. With few historical relics left intact, the energy in Nantong has become electrified. Indeed, this enthusiasm seems to be shared even by colonials who have come to earth to lend a hand. "The last three generations of my family were raised on Karrus," said Evan Zhou, a construction contractor working nearly non-stop on the greater Shanghai area, "...but I was always drawn here by the stories of earth handed down from my elders. I never had the opportunity to go until recently. I can't stand by and watch such an important place fall to ruin." 

Mr. Zhou is one of the millions of colonials who have flocked to the Sol System as more and more swaths of land are deemed safe for civilian occupation. With neon strongholds from Titan to Venus dwindling in the face of one of the most extensive military undertakings in recent history, many displaced Terrans are beginning to eturn to their homes for the first time in nearly three years. While many diaspora are drawn back to earth, some have decided against returning; the scars of the invasion have run so deep that many beloved locales are now unrecognizable. Undoing the damage of the invasion is projected to take decades, and for some living among the ruins seems to impart a sense of dread for the species. In France, where some of the first territories were cleared of Neons, rehabilitation has been underway for some time. We spoke to some of the laborers on the job about Terra's place in galaxy in the days to come, and the tarnished state of humanity's cradle.

p05cfkst.jpg

Settlements brim with Terrans and colonials alike in Épône, 40 km west of Paris.

"All we have now is footage, you see? Recordings. Snapshots and snippets of what once was. Thousands of years of human history and achievement, and so much of it decimated. My children will never be able to see what so many labored for. They will never be able to walk down the Champs-Élysées, they will never be able to experience the products of the greatest minds of this country first-hand." Jean-Paul Blaise takes a break from hefting rubble to smoke a cigarette. In the distance, the Seine River meanders through the bustling ruins, teeming with laborers. "But, it is better than nothing, no?" Blaise watches a civilian freighter rife with contractors land across the river, and start to disembark to begin demolition of un-salvageable city blocks.

"The bureaucrats will argue about what is to become of all these old cities, who is to settle where, and so on. All the displacement has made many eager to reclaim old lands, and try to stir up old bad blood from centuries ago. Can you believe the gall? It's pathetic. Whatever happens to Terra, it will always be remembered‒ even if it is a shadow of its former self."

8XRVXjT.png

A projected map of remaining Neon presences on Terra. Blue denotes areas that have been deemed safe for civilian habitation, but this does not mean that the occasional neon doesn't make an appearance. Cities marked are those that have been bolstered by Federal subsidies to encourage migration, as many population centers were entirely decimated.

On the Larsen Ice Shelf clinging to the Antarctic Peninsula, Mobile Infantry swaddled in winter gear patrol the never-ending white horizon. In the distance, foundations are being laid on terra firma to accomodate Terran diaspora following the turn of the century. "Here's one!" Sgt. Murray Harriman drops down and grunts. With some help from his subordinates, they heft up the rigid body of a frozen Neon. Its disgusting skin slowly pulsates as it tries to thaw. Not long after, it is set back down, and shot apart by a barrage of Morita fire after a few photographs.

6AE6296D9239E8669547CFE0F805EF69141E2E6F

Troopers of the 83rd Moritas mopping up what's left of the neons in the far flung reaches of Antarctica.

"I don't mind it so much. Here, we usually find 'em in ravines and crevices, sometimes frozen together."

Sgt. Harriman points down a warped crack in the ice to an amalgamation of tumors pinned between the two walls of ice. He motions for some explosives.

"Kerouac over there got transferred here from coastal duty in Namibia. Bet you miss it now, huh Kerouac?"

The troopers mill about, scanning the horizon for any 'roamers' as they are called. 

"...As far as I'm concerned, we've still got a job to do, whatever brass ends up doing with Terra. I'll stay here for however long it takes to make sure people can come back safe."

Are you interested in helping restore the Federation?

Are you skilled in the following:

- Electronics

- Engineering

- Medicine

- Computer Science

- Construction

- Agriculture

- Transportation

- Logistics

- Microbiology

- Humanitarian Aid

- Urban Planning