[FEDNET BREAKING] Outbreak on Perxies!

Jun Nagase

OUTBREAK ON PERXIES

zzKhifO.jpg

Photo taken by a FedNet film crew in Perxul near the outskirts

New Feature: Listen to this FedNet article   

"Amidst the growing protests in the streets of Perxul following the elections earlier this month, many Perxians' worst nightmare came to life as yet another outbreak of the Regeneration Bug broke out in central Perxul. Reports are coming in that a massive hole connecting to the underground metro system opened up letting loose a horde of regeneration bugs upon the civilians in Perxul. I'm Peter Morworth, and this is FedNet Breaking News."

"We now go to our reporter Jane Osman, reporting to us from the very streets of Perxul."

The feed switches to what appears to be a previously recorded TV interview.

PM: "Jane, tell us what you saw."

JO: "It's late at night here in Perxul, we were filming near a PDF security checkpoint near the governor's office complex. Protestors were getting impatient, more and more had been showing up over the past few days, even reports of isolated incidents of rioting began coming in from other districts in Perxul. I remember crawling up onto the base of an elevated street light to get a view of the crowd we were stuck in, looking down at the PDF checkpoint where they were holding the protestors back."

PM: "What did you see from up there?"

JO: "At first it seemed like a normal protest; disgruntled people massing against the police barricades demanding change. But as I looked back towards the other end, I thought I saw something that looked like a claw raising up over the crowd. Then I saw another, and another, and before I knew it chaos had consumed the crowd as people began to realize what was going on. It felt like a nightmare had come true; a monster had awoken to haunt us yet again. People were screaming and panicking, running to wherever they could, trampling down anyone in their way trying to get away from those monsters."

PM: "That sounds terrible Jane, how did you get out of there?"

JO: "We just, sort of, followed the crowd. It wasn't like we had any say in which way we were going; the crowd was too tightly packed. We were just along for the ride at this point. I started hearing sporadic gunshots ring out over the crowd, I couldn't see but I think it was the PDF forces trying to shoot towards the back from their towers. Before I knew it, bullets began flying around us rather than above us. I guess someone gave the order to fire, because the machineguns at the checkpoint began shooting through the crowd to get to the bugs at the back. Eventually we got pushed into an alley way about fifty meters off the side of the checkpoint. I looked back and saw the bugs already at the checkpoint, clawing their way through the defences.. I first saw them over a hundred meters behind us. I remember being amazed at how fast they had worked through the crowd, already right on our heels.."

PM: "That's.. That's horrible.. How many do you think died?"

JO: "I don't know.. We got pushed along and ended up in an old quarantine zone from the last outbreak. PDF forces had already set up there and rushed us inside, where we still are now, waiting for a way out."

PM: "Aren't there any shuttles you can take out of the city?"

JO: "No, even if they had any it wouldn't do us any good. Winter is in full effect on Perxies, there's a blizzard going through the city that would give even the best dropship pilots a run for their money, let alone a commercial shuttle craft. All we can do is hunker down and pray the outbreak isn't as bad as it looked.."

PM: "Our hearts and minds are with those who have lost their lives, Jane. Thank you for your time, and stay safe."

"That was Jane Osman, Journalist with us here at FedNet, recorded two hours ago.. We have since lost contact with her, and reports have come in that her district has fallen to the outbreak. We pray she made it out safely with her camera crew. We now go to live drone footage from above Perxul."

shin-gojira.jpg

The video feed cuts to a hovering view above Perxul. The blizzard had since died down, showing a clear view of a city on fire. It was eerily silent; the feed almost seemed as if it was without any audio as the thick black smoke of the city on fire slowly rose into the dense skies above. Slowly, the sound of jet engines faded in, eventually revealing some sort of fast atmospheric aircraft rapidly flying past the view. A couple of seconds later the ground in the forefront catches fire in a massive fiery explosion that spreads across the sides of the tall building structures. Shortly after, the feed cuts off as the drone gets engulfed by flames from another bomb.

".. It would seem they have begun firebombing the city in hopes of dealing with the outbreak... Federation Fleet reports they have already begun quarantining the quadrant Perxies resides in to prevent further spread of this unique type of bug. We are working on getting an official statement on the situation on Perxies from Federation Military. We will continue to keep you up to date on Perxies here on FedNet Breaking News as the Third Bug War rages on, claiming another peaceful planet to the war."

Audio recording from 'Fence Five'

Somewhere in Federal space sits a visibly seasoned terminal Lance Corporal surrounded by colleagues of lower or higher grade but none of similar rank, their fingers curled softly around a personal data appliance. The group laughed and shot the shit until hollers and shushes escaped their E-3 comrade-in-arms as the news began to play from the data device. It took the group mere moments to gather around and get a good picture on the situation. The first image of carnage and gore presented itself and just like that, the device was shut off.

Soft coughs, visible cringes and rapid blinks. 

"Ooooo- I know where I'm not going! Fuck that- Perxies' already in the hole."