History thread

For anyone interested in History here's a thread.

I've found that during OP's old chechen radio chatter makes for a great aesthetic, and the history behind it is remarkable.

Spoiler

During this battle, a Liuetenant Colonel Ivan Savin (AKA Alik) was defending a railway station, when a Chechen officer who knew Alik radio'd over to him, begging him to surrender.

LtCol Alik's brigade, the 131st Maikop brigade was surrounded at the railway station, they were mostly conscripts forced into the war and as they became surrounded they begged and pleaded for reinforcements that weren't coming, they were then ordered to take civilians hostage and negotiatie with the Chechens to be allowed out.

Records of this call to help and the order to take civilian hostages can be seen in this footage of the engagement:

Spoiler

They were also ordered to use the Civilians to escape during the night.

LtCol Savin's (Alik's) brigade consisted of 1000 soldiers.

By the end, none of them survived, and all were killed.

The Chechen wars are a really rich piece of history, and something I enjoy learning about.

There's also a really good show by Robert Newman on the History of Oil which explains a lot of the future and history of oil in our society, it's also incredibly funny and a really easy watch:

Spoiler

My favourite bit is at 30:25, really good skit explaining the Iraq war.