Camos & you

El Excellente

With the recent release of the new batch of models, I also included some camos to the uniforms. We were first skeptical about their use and thought "meh, theyre nice to have". From what I gathered now, the first few days after launch, they were recepted overwhelmingly positive. The first thing you usually see when joining is 10 people infront of a camera setting their camos up. Literally, theres so many cameras at spawn, you'd think we're shooting an orgy

Anyway, with this in mind, I thought, "why not add more?"

I could easily create a new addon for use with PAC which seperates all the bodyparts into small bits you can later put together in PAC. So instead of having full models again, there'd be just a pants model you can easily bonemerge. There'd be a torso model, and you can use whatever fucking head you like. From a technical standpoint, this is much easier than adding full models again and also allows me to use more textures (up to 64 materials on just the pants!). You would even be able to choose the colour of the vest; the downside being you have to be somewhat good with PAC (atleast to the extent where you know how to load in the model, bonemerge it and hide your own playermodel.)

But the real question is, do we really want more camos? I feel like the more we add, the more we're going away from the Starship Troopers setting, rendering the iconic grey uniforms unused and useless. How snowflaky is this going to turn out? I can make all kinds of camos and colour variations and this is 100% likely to cause every single Private to use a different set of camouflages/colours and whatnot. There will be a distinct lack of uniformity unless we're somehow regulating this (and knowing archer, this will be regulated..)

Thoughts?

I am not a fan of the camoflauge because as you said, it moves away from the Starship Troopers standard. However, we're talking about 15 years after Marauder, so it is possible the uniforms would have changed. But, personally, I dislike the camo. So much that as soon as I logged in yesterday and saw I still had the snow camo, I immediately was asking if anyone was on that could zap me back to normal greys, but got no response. So... LOL. My vote is no. I like the greys. If you're changing uniforms, what I would recommend is Fleet. Get that back to the dark blue/black coveralls or the dress uniforms we've seen in the first Starship Troopers and Marauder.

I feel we really don't need more additional camos to add on to what we have right now. The ones currently attached to the models are perfect for each sort of situation we could have around the universe, snowy, marsh lands, some desert. But I feel with the addition of more we would render the grey iconic useless. As of now I can still see use of having the default colour scheme on the infantry for tasks such as humanitarian aid drops, representing the federation in the colours they had been given. Though it would only take a camo of "Digital urban" or some other mix to wash that dream away

• Like 1

I think we should restrict the camo uniforms to sep-missions only, simply because aliens don't care about camo.

I'm willing to argue the snow uniform because a) it may look cool b) we can say its icly insulated/warmer w/e

I am not a fan of the camoflauge because as you said, it moves away from the Starship Troopers standard. However, we're talking about 15 years after Marauder, so it is possible the uniforms would have changed. But, personally, I dislike the camo. So much that as soon as I logged in yesterday and saw I still had the snow camo, I immediately was asking if anyone was on that could zap me back to normal greys, but got no response. So... LOL. My vote is no. I like the greys. If you're changing uniforms, what I would recommend is Fleet. Get that back to the dark blue/black coveralls or the dress uniforms we've seen in the first Starship Troopers and Marauder.

We have black uniforms for intel/fleet already.

So, here's the deal. I have no problems with camouflaged patterns being introduced into the setting, as it's already been made clear that we are diverging marginally from current SSTRP canon and making our our setting using SST as a base.

HOWEVER. Camo patterns will be heavily regulated to avoid snowflake syndrome or deviation from the fact that we are a military RP at our hearts. Therefore, the drop leader (Sgt+) will have full digression to what camo pattern is available for said mission, barring standard federal greys. Only one camo pattern may be used per drop and it must be matching for all items of clothing, across the entire platoon. If no directive is given towards use of camo's, federal greys must be worn.

Example: Sergeant X authorises use of digital camo for this city invasion. That means you can use either FULL digital camo, or FULL federal greys. This applies to everyone on the drop, no exceptions.

This means that those who like federal greys, can always use the standard patterns, without restricting the roleplay involved with the drop leadership being able to make a tactical decision.

Those that fail to adhere to this standard will have their ability to use any form of camo revoked.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, El Excellente said:

I think we should restrict the camo uniforms to sep-missions only, simply because aliens don't care about camo.

I'm willing to argue the snow uniform because a) it may look cool b) we can say its icly insulated/warmer w/e

We have black uniforms for intel/fleet already.

The only reason I mentioned the snow camo is that Pvt. Flynn is still wearing it. lol I would like that to stop. I want my guy back in the grey. I'll be on this afternoon, because I'm currently at RL work, but hopefully someone will be on that can assist.

I'd rather have commands like;

/camonormal

/camowinter

/camodesert

/camoforest

- as well as /offduty which set the bodygroups for us so no-one has to faff around and there is no snowflake issues.

But that's just my two pennies.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Despite the negative responses to the PAC bonemerging, I'm actually in favor of it and only for one reason. As of now, the models can't have their bodygroups changed through PAC. That's not SW's fault either, it's just that PAC is a finnicky piece of shit when it comes to bonemerging.

i haven't had that issue. i made a few PAC saves that swap the vest camo and my character's face skin and they work

i hate PAC and think its dumb so i say no more camos needed

unless some kind soul out there makes PAC's for everything so i dont need to put the effort into it

altho we do got enough camos

but then again

if we can get green vests and LBV gear

and rolled up arctic sleeves

WE CAN BECOME HECU GRUNTS

WE.  GOT.  BOGIES.

SHIT!  NEUTRALIZE.  FREEMAN.

MOVEMENT.

• Like 1

Don't Fleet already get pimping Lt_C's Scifi Citizen models?

That's more than enough.

As well is more than enough the amount of camos you already have, and the fact that you have them bodygrouped is a gift that does not need the travesty of expanding.
Some people disable PAC as it reduces visual clutter and probably improves framerate.

The current selection of camo is the golden cut between variety and focus, you should spare your tireless effort for something far more yearning.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TheCursedJester said:

I'd rather have commands like;

/camonormal

/camowinter

/camodesert

/camoforest

- as well as /offduty which set the bodygroups for us so no-one has to faff around and there is no snowflake issues.

But that's just my two pennies.

honestly this is about the only request I can make besides maybe a /gasmask command

cuts out lots of time dicking around changing bodygroups.

the camos are really nice and there's not much need to fix it if it ain't broke

• Like 2

i'm having troubles with my teeth because i grit them all the fucking time nowadays when i see private mcfuck and their fucking mother donning the special scarf snowflake bandana balaclava TM for any reason and with lack thereof

i don't need more fucking camos to worry about, diversity my fucking ass, we've enough as is to satisfy all your snowflake needs

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
5 hours ago, Archer said:

i'm having troubles with my teeth because i grit them all the fucking time nowadays when i see private mcfuck and their fucking mother donning the special scarf snowflake bandana balaclava TM for any reason and with lack thereof

i don't need more fucking camos to worry about, diversity my fucking ass, we've enough as is to satisfy all your snowflake needs

https://jet.com/product/detail/278426a7887c4fb8b1c28c03978c1a43?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_cons_Gen_Health_Beauty_a3:Health_Beauty_Health_Care_Pain_Relievers_a3:na:PLA_786070203_37816627581_pla-307606443103:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786070203&is_retargeting=true&clickid=751c91c8-b49a-4011-831f-9ba49a4a339f&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT8RzI4NwDzCngbxvDuT3OEibSQyzd3Iz8oKB6yfAZl9VtJyVWnbF8gaAq5REALw_wcB

• Funny 1
  • Useful 1

I too, agree that these should be sep/skinnie only. At times I worry about straying from the iconic uniforms, but we've moved into custom canon. Seperatists and Skinnies are a well known and common enemy. With the edition of neons, bug fighting is becoming less the fed's main focus, and with our custom political party(nationalists) coming into power, I see a way to easily explain an overhaul of uniforms. 

Also, it would be very cool if each camo suit was designed for its setting. Maybe jungle camo is coated with talcum powder in the inner thigh area. :^)

• Like 1