How To Not Die, A Guide For Recruits And Idiots

cookies

So far I've been pked 4 times in the span of less than a month and have also literally never been promoted in all my time on the server which is actually a very long time considering I've never really stayed on long back when I had my singular private Wilson. Help please and actual advice because I can already feel someone typing don't be an idiot but I'm already an idiot so you're shit outa luck. 

Edit: Refer to comments for assistance on how to love a long and prosperous life based on my shitty mistakes. In the offchance you're a recruit that somehow wandered onto these forums welcome and don't be like me because you're in for a world of fucking pain if you're the slightest. So read up, prepare for your first drop, and pray that the admins are feeling generous. Good luck and try not to die.

• Funny 1
46 minutes ago, Heresiarch Grimm said:

It'd help more if you listed and explained how each of your characters died. Then people can say where you're going wrong.

+1 on this. We need to know more.

Our PK rules at the moment target those who are knowingly putting themselves in danger, either as idiots or as heroes, or who commit acts which would very obviously kill the character.

To name a few examples:

Staying out the open, repeatedly throwing themselves into bug swarms, getting seperated, staying behind, ignoring orders or signs of approaching danger, ignoring basic survival needs like staying warm in winter... etc.

If you're constantly being PK'ed that suggests you're constantly throwing your characters into danger, without any regard for their lives or the fact they would have some fear / hesitation. Granted, its rather easy to overlook as you sit safe at your computer.

First pk was when my private was staying behind from being slightly injured and for some reason no one tried going back down the elevator where they got slaughtered so I went down and snuck up on thann sol Orwell where I tried to boot knife stab him but his buddy who didn't really timescale just walked up to my failed roll and shot me in the back with a shotgun. Alexander Strauss died when I was covering a roof with no backup and a rebel came up behind me and booted me off the roof, my neck snapped when I hit the ground. Jake O'Hanrahan died when I joined a deployment late and shot my M55 rocket launcher into a building filled with seppies and what I didn't know or see was around 10 hostages where most died on impact, I was sentenced to death by firing squad. And you can see James Locke's Pk Appeal for the latest one. I just realized I kinda put myself into compromising positions not sex related but getting fucked in the ass and getting fucked in the ass with a shotgun is pretty similar.

• Executive Administrator
44 minutes ago, cookies said:

I just realized I kinda put myself into compromising positions

this is why you continue to get PK'd, having seen all of the ones mentioned first hand. your character's judgement or lack thereof is why you've found

yourself frequently creating new characters.

for the first one, your character had been shot in both shoulders, and you insisted on sneaking all alone into a building with than sol. no amount of rolling is going to save you from a decision like that.

for the second, strauss failed to clear the roof/ maintain situational awareness, and placed himself on a very precarious edge at the end of the roof. this decision was exploited by whoever was playing the separatist that kicked you off.

for the third, if you're handling an objective with HVT's that you need to keep alive, it's not a good idea to fire a HEDP or HEAT round into a room that you haven't cleared, as exactly what happened to O'Hanrahan happens.

for the fourth, you can read what deckers said.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:50 PM, Deckers said:
  • The player was knowingly and intentionally performing an act of heroism or stupidity outside the duties of a normal Mobile Infantry soldier. Heroism isn't banned; but with heroic action comes risk commensurate with the likely reward you will receive if you succeed.

First off, if your point of going out to rescue wounded were true, then you would fall under this category as you rushed out without orders to an ICLY overran position, hence why everyone fell back to the building in that compound.

• They weren't simply following the orders of a superior officer.

Relays back to the first point, you ran out without orders to an overran position.

• They were given fair and obvious warning that their actions could lead to death, except where their actions heinously demonstrate recklessness.

Pretty obvious these were reckless actions.

• The more experience on SSTRP they have, the fairer game they are for.

You've been on Starship Troopers for a while.

1 hour ago, TheCursedJester said:

Staying out the open, repeatedly throwing themselves into bug swarms, getting seperated, staying behind, ignoring orders or signs of approaching danger, ignoring basic survival needs like staying warm in winter... etc.

If you're constantly being PK'ed that suggests you're constantly throwing your characters into danger, without any regard for their lives or the fact they would have some fear / hesitation. Granted, its rather easy to overlook as you sit safe at your computer.

listen to @TheCursedJester

Actually the pattern that I know is happening is that I'm fucking bored. I am so bored when doing the monotonous task of doing a firing line and killing an absolute shit ton of bugs or seppies with the assurance of never getting promoted which has probably coalesced into the fact that I'm super jealous that somehow through almost 10 or more old ass deployments with Wilson he was always a private and Montgomery, Redbrick, and Deckers somehow got to pfc and lcpl and higher within literally a fucking week while I get fucked over doing the same god damn task and event. Which is probably why I left all those months ago and popped in occasionally for less than 5 minutes each time.

18 minutes ago, cookies said:

Actually the pattern that I know is happening is that I'm fucking bored. I am so bored when doing the monotonous task of doing a firing line and killing an absolute shit ton of bugs or seppies with the assurance of never getting promoted which has probably coalesced into the fact that I'm super jealous that somehow through almost 10 or more old ass deployments with Wilson he was always a private and Montgomery, Redbrick, and Deckers somehow got to pfc and lcpl and higher within literally a fucking week while I get fucked over doing the same god damn task and event. Which is probably why I left all those months ago and popped in occasionally for less than 5 minutes each time.

well i mean ur char will get promoted if he stands in the firing line good for a few days and then shows initiative and expresses interest in being a squad leader to the psgt or drop lead. they will give ur char a shot at it or have them made a 2ic for a mission. just do the boring thing because that's what the rp is, it's military

46 minutes ago, cookies said:

Actually the pattern that I know is happening is that I'm fucking bored. I am so bored when doing the monotonous task of doing a firing line and killing an absolute shit ton of bugs or seppies with the assurance of never getting promoted

The thing is promotions are based on merit. If you sit back and be part of the crowd no-one will notice you - in fact, if your character is just doing their job, exactly what the Federation pays them for, why should they earn any achievements for it? They're doing what's expected of them.

That said, merit =/= take stupid risks and put yourself into compromising situations which'll get you killed.

Be aware, be vigilant, follow orders, but take the initiative and volunteer, or keep an eye out for suggestions and ways which'll help the mission.

I.e. Offer to lead squads or fireteams, suggest stuff like avaliable cover, help out, organise your squad...

Don't rush out or try to take charge past your rank, but don't sit at the back and plod along for the ride.

Flanking the ThanSol was good, but doing it on your own without backup, something a real soldier would never do unless desperate, was what caused the PK and lost your chance at being noticed. Same for clearing the rooftop and using it as high ground, until you let yourself get flanked / exposed yourself to enemy fire.

Its... awkward, when you write it out like that, yes, but achievable.

Good roleplay also helps. No-one notices a man who sits back, holds mouse 1 and doesn't give you the time of day.

It's difficult to promote troopers that are never in position because they are off doing as they please due to boredom or lack of patience there of. If someone is telling you on the radio that you are in the wrong position, or get back here, or where are you it's probably a bad thing.

case and point telling my character the you are a point man in a medics body. Yea that's a problem.

i promote based off two important factors can you do as you are told, and if so can I trust you to keep yourself out of trouble. If you can do both of these I usually promote. When you hit lance corporal is when I change up my requirements. Are you trainable and can you see the big picture.

just like the book says anything given has no value. Earn it.

Aside from not running off on your own, attitude is a big part of being promoted. If you're lippy or clever with people, especially a corporal+, you're not going to be high on their list of people to recommend for promotion. Not to mention, it's not like you're the only person who's ever gone long periods of time without promotion. My first 3 years of SSTRP I never made it past the rank of PFC. Why? Because of chance. Because somebody was in the right place at the right time and I wasn't. Not to mention other people were just simply better than me. There's no shame in it.

3 hours ago, Orwell said:

for the second, strauss failed to clear the roof/ maintain situational awareness, and placed himself on a very precarious edge at the end of the roof. this decision was exploited by whoever was playing the separatist that kicked you off.

Yes, I was the one who played the separatist. The mansion was almost cleared of separatists with the last of them holding out on the rear porch. I decided to make my final stand on the roof, when I see Strauss trotting around on top as I come over the rise. I have no clue how you made it up there, but I stood behind you for nearly have a minute with a machete before I finally just whacked poor Strauss off. I didn't even intend to PK 'em, that's just how it turned out.

It's worth noting that you'll almost NEVER be PK'd for following a superior's orders on a mission. Sure, you might think that's boring as you said above, but that's part of being enlisted.

On the note of promotions. We don't promote people for play time. We don't promote them for bug shoot. As everyone else has already said, promotions are merit based. That means having the characteristics to BECOME a leader, or to BE a leader. If we think you can do it, we'll probably talk to you about it. Most of the current sergeants can probably tell you how they were approached about becoming a sergeant and given a small lecture about what to do with the rank.The reason you'll see people get fast-tracked in as little as a week is because they're either good at their job, or the command staff need squad leaders. 

I'm just going to add this here as the topic has changed slightly.

I personally have no interest in promoting past Pfc those who offer little to no passive roleplay. The reasoning behind this is rather simple: Half our time is spent on the ship, I'd like to know that my NCOs don't disappear as soon as the event finishes. Being an active passive roleplayer is an easy way to get on my radar.

Part of being an NCO is creating roleplay for others around you using your own creative outlets. A fact that is regularly drilled into those that hold these positions. This means that while it may have rewards to being an NCO, it also requires an OOC commitment to the server. I need to be able to trust that those who take up these positions won't require babysitting in terms of activity or attitude.

tl;dr Being an NCO is an OOC responsibility alongside being a role model in terms of roleplay standards and quality.

• Like 1

I've only ever showed NCO potential during that one mission against seppies where we were held up in a multi floored building where I just yelled at every command-able person to either get on a 50-50 or to get to some sandbags while I cleared the backblasts of M55 users and did general medrp while yelling at Recruits and above to stop masturbating in their position and to do something useful such as man a 50 cal and to watch out and point out any enemy armor. I did more than that but it's a general summary of the event. But the problem here is that I have never gotten past private so I can't tell if it's neglect or just my supreme incompetence and memes that fucks me over.