Fleet Canon

Xalphox

• Executive Administrator

Hi all,

I've been thinking about Fleet canon over the past couple of weeks - in particular the scale of the universe and our technology. In the film, it shows Klendathu on the opposite side of the Milky Way - around 100,000 light years away. Specifically, if we can make that journey in reasonable time, then realistically that puts intergalactic travel (at least to Andromeda at 2.5mly) firmly within our reach - which I really don't want to be a thing.

I don't think the movie really concerned itself much with the nature of the distances involved in space travel and therefore I'm willing to ignore that particular piece of canon - instead, we will work off the model that humanity has a 30,000 light year sphere of influence (incl the AQZ at 10kly away, and the SQZ at 20kly away) - with most ships unable to travel faster than 1000 ly per day. 

The Grant being specifically built for speed as a fast response/scout/stealth ship will treble that - capable of travelling 3,000 light years in a day. This means the Grant can travel from Sol to Klendathu in 3 and a bit days, to the SQZ in around a week, or from one side of chartered territory to the other in 20 days. Logistical challenges would prevent the Grant ever travelling more than 60,000 LY in one hop without resupplying - preventing us routinely breaking that sphere of influence.

This is purely an IC thing and is not intended to put limitations on the admin team - they can still run an arachnid mission 10 minutes after a skinnie mission if they so see fit.

I am going to look to develop Fleet canon and our place in the SSTRP universe a bit more over the coming weeks

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

So the Grant can travel approximately at full speed from Sol;

Klendathu; 33,33 days.

Edge of the Andromeda Galaxy; 846,66 days/2,32 Earth years.

I would say that is fairly reasonable as well and it would also open up for cannon regarding the Andromeda Galaxy an expeditions thereof if needed. Which would give a wider ballpark to play in if ever needed. However if Andromeda is supposed to be an off-limits consideration, the numbers might need a bit more tweaking.

This is of course disregarding relativity and time dilation and what have you. These numbers are in regards to an outside observer as time would travel much slower for people on a spaceship moving at such speeds. Thousands of years might pass on Earth while only a year passes on the Grant itself. Sooo yeah. We should probably stay out of that particular area of physics.

4 hours ago, SvenPek said:

I would say that is fairly reasonable as well and it would also open up for cannon regarding the Andromeda Galaxy an expeditions thereof if needed. Which would give a wider ballpark to play in if ever needed. However if Andromeda is supposed to be an off-limits consideration, the numbers might need a bit more tweaking.

my personal opinion is that we should open up all our cannons to counter this ugly progenitor threat but ok

• Optimistic 1